How Do You Find Out What Works Best With What You Have?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Robt_Moore, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Robt_Moore

Robt_Moore Stunt Coordinator

Feb 27, 2002
    I am always amazed on the quality of responses on this section of the HTF. My question is this--how does one go about to learn the type of information that is given on this forum. For example, if you wanted to learn about electrical wiring, you could buy and study books, take classes, help electricians, etc. and you would learn the process. How do you guys know know what speakers would usually be a good match to certain receivers? And what speakers to add to existing systems to upgrade them?

Here's my next upgrade project, and why I ask the question:

I have a Denon 1803, which I think is great, 4-Advent A1122 from when I went to DPL several years ago. I always thought they sounded great, and with the Denon (which replaced a Technics DPL receiver), I really hear what I've been missing all these years. I also have an Advent Audio Focus II center, which sounds great with movies, but not always so hot with music (but it depends on the quality of the source material). Anyway, I would like to add sometime this year two more speakers for the back surrounds, and a subwoofer. Since Advent is no longer with us, you can see my dilemma. Plus I don't have a huge budget to work with (there are other things on the list, boring things like a new clothes dryer).

Do I just keep an eye out for Advent subwoofers and speakers on ebay? Would one Advent center speaker work OK as the back center? (Denon 1803 is a 6.1 receiver, but recommends two speakers on the back center channel) Two other model Advent as the back center? One? Anyone have an Advent subwoofer? Would a Dayton sub be the best buy? Or chuck the whole lot and start building a new speaker system? Then what brand/model? Bose?(I at least know this isn't correct.)

I'm in no hurry and really would like to learn how to answer these questions, not just suggestions. Since I'll probably have a few more chances in the next 50 years buying speakers.

Thanks for everyone's help.
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    Denon power amps are neutral in my opinion. (Really flat response across the spectrum)
    I look for very flat response speakers and electrnoics in general, So for Denon amps, very flat nuetral speakers always seem best to me.

As far as the Sub goes, there isn't any real matching to do, just get the meanest sub you can afford.

We all get generalities of certain speakers and lines, from our auditionng of them. Example: B&W speakers are way bright, and are best mated with nuetral to laid back power amps. In my opinion they are just to bright for Denon amps.

I am in the use the same exact speakers all the way around camp myself.

But what it really comes down to is:

Audition and decide what you like best. All the technical education in the world, cannot replace listening to something you actually like the sound of.

Audiophile types, get a kick out of auditioning new and not previously auditioned equipment. I even seem to get some sort of rush out of auditioning others peoples HT, and always jump at the chance to either install or help install new rooms / even help picking the equipment for the budget at hand.

I also love auditioning my stuff for others, and value their opinions even if they may be negative about my own system.

Now, I have also been a recording studio producer, and still own my own recording studio. So the audio background for myself is quite extensive.

Good luck with your self-education....