How do you find music you like?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holadem, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I know this sounds like a silly question (really?!) but here we go...

I am asking because I have a hard time finding something I would actually buy. Perhaps because I don't listen to radio and don't have cable TV ==> no music channels.

Do you listen to radio, then buy the stuff you like? Do you go to stores and listen to what they display? Do you watch MTV, VH1 etc?...

I will be drving soon everyday, so I know I will be listening to much more radio than I do now (which is never). Just wondering how you guys come across your fav music...

--

Holadem

2. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I love to find music when I'm talking to a friend who likes music, and has something to interest me in...when I'm walking down the street and I hear a song wafting out of a car...and when I hear a song playing while I'm browsing in a music store.

I also find music, lately, when I'm talking about it in rooms like this, and someone says what THEY like to hear or have heard lately.

I HATE MUSIC IN-STORE MUSIC STATIONS, I HATE MTV, I HATE VH1! I AM NOT A NUMBER...I'M A PERSON!

There...I feel better.

3. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Well as someone that owns nearly 1300 CDs, I guess I'm qualified to answer this one. [​IMG]
    It's really a combination of things. There is a radio station here that I really like and if I hear a few good songs from a band, I'll pick up the CD. (The latest example of this is Puddle of Mudd.) Also, I tend to buy a CD of a band that I really like whenever they release something new....bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Led Zepplin (and the P&P releases), Alison Krauss, Tom Petty, etc. I also have digital cable that has a music choice on it and sometimes you find good things on that. Finally, I ask my friends. We have similiar tastes and usually one of us has the CD, so I can audition it before buying it.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

5. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

I usually find music that I like on Accident. honest to god.

6. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

It used to be I listened to the University station here. I had a schedule and some programs were just excellent. I would record the songs and write down the band names. If I didn't know it but really liked the tune I would call them and ask the DJ. Sometimes, he (or in one case she, went out on a date but thats a whole other thread [​IMG]) would direct me to some new bands. That was mostly in the mid-90s and I discovered some great music this way.
    I don't do this as often now but it would still be a good way to find new music. However, the internet of course has changed most of the way I find music but I still don't do it as often. As far as radio is concerned, I didn't even bother to hook up the antaenne to my car deck. Vintage 80s CDs all the way

7. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I usually stumble across it watching mtv. My local radio stations usually don't play new stuff until it's been out for a couple months. Then they overplay it. [​IMG]
    I'm with Michael on the 80's music. Except my 80's music is on md not cd.
    Jon

8. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Another way to find new music is to take the artists that you are like and then look on the web, magazine, etc. for similiar artists. You live in New York.....you could check the library system for CDs also.

9. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

My computer has some good sounding AR powered partners along with a cable connection.

By checking out the "best album threads" in this music forum, I go to amazon.com and start sampling some of the ones I'm interested in.

Also, being as you're in NYC, do you listen to WFUV 90.7? It's a college station that has many different programs that offer variety. They were just playing the top ten albums (as voted by listeners) in their entirety.

10. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

I usually go to audition equipment with friends who have similar tastes in music, however I can always count on them introducing one or two new performers/ performances that I have not had the pleasure of previously... then If I like the artist I vaccum up all the stuff I can find...

Miles

11. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I listen over the net to stations that play the genres that I like.

12. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: To find good music, take an album you like, find the other musicians who played on it, and get other albums by those musicians.

------------

When I was a teenager I listened to commercial radio because all of it was new to me. So I got onto R.E.M, Tom Petty, U2, and the classic rock stuff too. And though at that time I had little money, I had a library card. So I checked out a Neil Young album, which got me onto Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, which got me onto Buffalo Springfield. From this experience I learned how to follow artistic "families".

The latest artistic family following I've done has been the Miles Davis/Bill Evans/John Coltrane/Cannonball Adderly family of jazz albums (note: these musicians all played on Davis' "Kind of Blue"). How did I get onto Jazz? CBC Radio 2's "After Hours with Ross Porter". Coolest show on the radio. It's on streaming internet audio, so I recommend "tuning" in.

As for radio in the car, I hope you don't live where I live, because radio is plain awful here (apart from the aforementioned Jazz show).

-JNS

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

If you have the cash and the ambition, go to a medium sized city where, hopefully, there will be a smaller music store, which would specialize in hard to find and import titles. These are the stores that carry alot of the smaller bands albums or stuff you won't get on radio lists. You can find Metallica or J. Lo anywhere. It takes some searching to find Pietasters, Fishbone, New Bomb Terks or Mad Caddies. The nice thing about these smaller shops is they let you try music before buying. You can sit down at one of their CD players and play the whole album if you like.
    The other, cheaper option is the net. audiogalaxy is what I use and I love it. There is a tremendous variety posted and you can always delete what you don't find appealing.
    Bruce

14. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for college radio!

Also, try to read interviews with the bands you do like. Many times they will spill info on what bands they're influenced by. Like Metallica for instance - back in the late 80's they led me toward Killing Joke, Laibach, Tom Waits, Faith No More (before 'Epic' broke) and many others.

And as mentioned above, check liner notes and see what players/producers are involved with projects you like. The 'family tree' method works very well!

Alot of the cooler music magazines come with sampler CDs nowadays. Another nifty way to hear new stuff. When you're a full-fledged music hound, you'll actually be able to sniff or sense good music just by digging through a record store. This is a dangerous practice though, since you risk the chance of buying something horrible.

Keep practicing and happy hunting!

15. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
  16. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

The Internet is hugely responsible for the increase of my music collection. Basically, get involved with mailing lists of groups that you like. Through these groups, I have found bands I would never had found otherwise. I'm not sure what I would have done without it, with the horrible state of pop music nowadays....

Jason

17. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

Usually I hear stuff on the radio, and then download other stuff off the CD to tell if i'll like it. There really aren't many great radio stations now that my favorite (89.5 WSOU- Seton Hall University's radio station) changed from its Hard Rock to an "Eclectic Rock" format, but they still are the best station around so thats basically where my new music comes from.

I also get recommendations from friends sometimes, but they don't have the exact same tastes, so again I download the song first to tell if its good or not.

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Online, ironically. The Recording Industry can say what it wants about dropping CD sales, but I've bought more CDs since I got Napster than I did before. I never seem to catch the names of songs and such on the radio, whereas with stuff I hear online, I can read the song name. While a good portion of my music time is consumed by mp3s, there's just some things (particularly the stuff you know you'll be listening to for a while to come) that you need a high-quality, portable version of. I have a CD burner, but I mainly use that to make VCDs and SVCDs.

19. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian