What's new

how do you feel about runco? (1 Viewer)

Nick-R

Agent
a salesman was singing the praises of the Runco 410. (probably because he thought it was a little more than i wanted to spend.) any thoughts on it? it probably is on the higher end of what i wanted to spend, but if it is worth it i wouldn't mind.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Runco usually takes the engine of an existing maker and builds around it with better optics and better processing.

Properly calibrated and Head to head with the original maker's own equivalent brand, the Runco will clearly win.

Mind you, when you buy a Runco, you are not just buying a product, but the support network that comes with it. Calibrator has problems, Runco is there to help him ...

They have excellent products ... that perform.

That said, if value for dollar is paramount and you need to see it all on the screen, then the Runco product is not for you. The products are rarely discounted. You either want a Runco ... or you don't.

The clientele that buys Runco does not fuss over the fact that the bulb is rated for only 1000 hr ... or that it costs $500 to replace. (Their bulb can go 2000 hours like other companies, but they use the 1000 hr for optimal performance.) It's about performance.

Regards

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You also pay a signifigant premium for that service.

Most hobbyists on these forums don't bother with them. They are usually ment for those who don't want to mess with their projectors, and willing to pay for the privlidge.

Jason

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind Runco does some rebadging as well, so they cater to a high-end clientele. A crafty buyer can do better for the dollar many times. As a CRTer, my bias is against Runco because they never did anything except re-sell OEM CRTs for way more money. Current Runco, with digitals, I'm more open to them.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I'll 2nd everything Michael said.

To come clean....I am ISF certified, and work at shop that sells Runco. I have had lots of experience calibrating Runco as well as many other brands.

The "re-badging" debate is a touchy one. Only on their more entry level models does this really apply, but even those have a fair amount of modifications to improve their performance, if only from a calibrators point of view. Runcos always have full gray scale adjustments and aspect control. Those can be priceless features if a properly calibrated image is your goal. When shopping around, make sure youre seeing fully calibrated images. Not many dealers have them fully calibrated, unfortunatly. This can make for some pretty under-whelming presentations, where the Runcos dont look any different than their competitors. They can even look worse. Runcos have a pretty large amount of adjustments, which is usually left to an installer to properly configure.

On Runco's more premium models (They build projectors for well over $100k) They are anything but rebadged. Not many video companies build EVERYTHING in house. Some of the indavidual components are made by other companies, but usually at a design mandated by Runco.

They also have an incredibly knowledgable staff. There are alot of videofiles working there.

As a fellow ISF'er, I couldnt agree more. Runco's products really do perform.

Are there other good products out there? Sure, but IMO, Runco consistently delivers the goods. They always push the envelope a little further, and sometimes, ALOT further.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The other thing that I will say about Runco is their customer service. When it comes to a company it is what they do for you after they sell you their equipment. Sam Runco and the company that he runs is nothing but a class act.

If piece of mind after buying a product is important to you you will be hard pressed to do better than Runco. As with anything else...You get what you pay for.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks