What's new

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There is no one in my family that wants my collection after I’m gone, and frankly, they would be just as irritated having to haul it out to the trash as if it were any other kind of collectible that is past it’s moment.

I’ve been weeding my collection for the past several years of titles I’ll never watch again and it’s been nearly impossible to find takers. Local charities, schools and libraries have no interest - it’s just stuff to them that they don’t want and can’t use, and the effort to either store it or sell it would exceed whatever pittance it brought in. Very few things have found buyers on Amazon and eBay. I’ve put up for sale posts on HTF’s classifieds and almost nothing sold. Because of shipping and handling costs, not to mention the time it takes to package items and drop off at the post office, it winds up being both a time and money loser.

I’m not saying that to be a jerk. I enjoy this hobby. But I have no expectations that anyone will want this stuff when I’m gone.

That’s also why I don’t argue with people about why I collect. Most of the arguments in this and many other threads about why discs are better are emotional rather than logical arguments filled with straw men scenarios. Speaking for myself, it’s far more honest to say “I do it because I enjoy it” than assigning any other justification.

I would agree with almost everything you said ^, even in a more general sense.

For example, I end up giving away most of my old stuff such as large portions of my old comic book collection, board games, vinyl records, musical instruments, etc ... to younger relatives and/or nearby friends + family, instead of trying to "sell" any of it.

If I'm going to be wasting my time at "selling" stuff, it has to bring in at least $10k in a single transaction. Otherwise I just give it away, or drop it off at a nearby goodwill.

As I get older, I don't have any more rationalizations/excuses for much of anything, which doesn't sound like a teenager throwing a tantrum.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
There is no one in my family that wants my collection after I’m gone, and frankly, they would be just as irritated having to haul it out to the trash as if it were any other kind of collectible that is past it’s moment.

Yeah, with very few exceptions, that's what I'm finding, especially w/ the advent of streaming...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well I wish I had never trashed my LPs now worth a considerable amount to collectors. You never know…..
My wife is very good at selling this stuff. She's been selling our old vinyl LPs, plus my old comic book collection. She's up to $5,800 sold for the comic books alone. I also give her old DVDs and BDs when I upgrade. The market is much tighter for those, but she usually can make a few dollars for a title.

I'm thankful she has the patience and desire to sell these things, because I certainly do not.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
BTW, if you're really paranoid about losing access to digital purchases, you should think again about the BDs and 4K discs you buy/own (and how you access them). By design, there actually are built-in mechanisms for disc publishers to remove your access, particularly for 4K discs. You probably just didn't hear about that before, but it was actually a concern when 4K discs first hit the market (and the chatter brought up the issue for BDs too), but truth is they're not real threats because they're ultimately bad for business... though the backdoor contingency is there just like the legalese fine print is there for digital purchases...

(For context).

One version of the AACS2 drm for 4Kbluray discs, involves a system where the keys to decrypt a particular 4Kbluray disc is not self-contained on the actual disc, but has to be retrieved from a remote server over the internet.

For such 4Kbluray discs, they mind as well be "coasters" if the remote key server is ever taken down permanently.

This version was mentioned in some documents leaked in the Sony hack of 2014, which ended up on wikileaks.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The "nuclear option" I've alluding to, has to do with the key revocation system on bluray/4Kbluray. Every officially manufactured bluray/4Kbluray disc, will have an MKB_RO.inf file in the /AACS directory on the disc where this MKB_RO.inf file has a blacklist of players/devices to be "bricked" deliberate.

So every time a bluray/4Kbluray disc is first read by player/device, this /AACS/MKB_RO.inf file is read and updated on the player/device in the flashmemory chip. If a particular player/device discovers that it is on this blacklist, it will abruptly stop functioning normally.

A "nuclear option" with this key revocation system, would be placing every single known player/device into the MKB_RO.inf file. This would cause a "great bricking" if something like a future Star Wars bluray/4Kbluray movie disc has this "nuclear bomb" MKB_RO.inf file.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...A "nuclear option" with this key revocation system, would be placing every single known player/device into the MKB_RO.inf file. This would cause a "great bricking" if something like a future Star Wars bluray/4Kbluray movie disc has this "nuclear bomb" MKB_RO.inf file.
Wouldn't this only be an issue if the player were connected to the internet?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Wouldn't this only be an issue if the player were connected to the internet?

The internet is irrelevant in the key revocation algorithm.

The aacs algorithm was designed entirely to not require the internet at all.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
(For context).

One version of the AACS2 drm for 4Kbluray discs, involves a system where the keys to decrypt a particular 4Kbluray disc is not self-contained on the actual disc, but has to be retrieved from a remote server over the internet.

For such 4Kbluray discs, they mind as well be "coasters" if the remote key server is ever taken down permanently.

This version was mentioned in some documents leaked in the Sony hack of 2014, which ended up on wikileaks.

I forget the details now, but that key only needed to be retrieve once in a (long?) while, no?

Wonder if this is really commonly used for 4K discs...

_Man_

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I forget the details now, but that key only needed to be retrieve once in a (long?) while, no?

Wonder if this is really commonly used for 4K discs...

_Man_

It is unclear whether this less common version of AACS2 has been used yet in practice.

Since the introduction of 4Kbluray, the widely used version of AACS2 largely resembles the old AACS bluray version, where the decryption keys are self-contained on the actual bluray/4Kbluray discs (in a Wile E. Coyote manner).

The implementation details of AACS2 are not very clear either, since a lot less has been officially published about the technical details of 4Kbluray discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Speaking in terms of hypotheticals/conjecture).

With all that being said, the one obvious scenario where this less common version of AACS2 might be very useful, would be something like "screener" 4Kbluray discs.

Once the awards season is over, the movie companies can just remove the decryption keys for such "screener" 4Kbluray discs. So essentially such 4Kbluray screener discs become coasters, both figuratively and literally when the decryption keys are no longer available on a remote key server.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

(This is purely speculation).

My guess is if the AACS2 designers were not complete idiots, they would likely put a time limit on how long an individual decryption key is stored in a 4Kbluray player's flashmemory. (ie. Flashmemory is vulnerable to hardware hacking).

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
I retired and moved from the USA to Thailand almost 10 years ago. I even brought a ton of dvds and blu-rays with me that I'd collected over the years. 2,500+ of them in 10 small suitcase style storage cases that hold 300 discs each. And I am glad I brought them. Many are titles that I doubt can be found to easily stream uncut and without a glitch anywhere on the internet. I kept them for the fun of it. And, ten years ago, there were not the streaming options and streaming quality of today.

Oh, but there's more. I still visit a local dvd/blu-ray store here in Bangkok every week and find myself RE-purchasing 6-12 titles per month that I already have in those cases! Why? Because if I am going to watch those movies on my lovely home theater system with a Thai friend who is not highly fluent in English I need a version of it with a Thai subtitle or Thai dubbed option. The dvd/blu-ray titles I re-purchase here have one or both of those options.

Which brings us back to why I keep and still buy dvds/blu-rays rather than rely on streaming. Other than Netflix Thailand, there is no reliable streaming option that I am aware of that shows a huge library of great American/Foreign movie classics with Thai subtitles or the proper Thai font required to pass for Thai subtitles. And Netflix Thailand only occasionally includes something I would consider an American/Foreign movie classic. Usually it's just a lot of modern comic book superhero and mindless action movies with some better quality modern movies thrown in here and there. And then it is only temporarily on Netflix Thailand until they pull the title for a year or more.

Btw, you would be surprised how much someone who has never seen a Hitchcock, Wilder, Wyler, Hawks, Ford or Lean classic is pulled into and enthralled by their movies, demanding to see more and more of them, asking to re-watch some of them, after growing up on a diet of mostly post-1990 stuff. For me, it is like watching them afresh too.

So that is the main reason I love, keep and, yep, still buy physical media in an era of streaming. I have to buy it and own it if I am am going to be certain of a Thai subtitle/dubbing option for an American/English-language Movie Classic .

Well, one other thing. Several times a year when "for the convenience of it" I do try to stream something that is not on Netflix for me and a friend who happens to be English-fluent enough not to need Thai subtitles, the stream has been so fraught with buffering, glitches, picture and sound issues or just outright stopped an hour into it that I have had to abandon the streaming and dig out the same title from my storage cases to continue watching it on dvd or blu-ray. But I can only think of one time in 10 years where the reverse happened; where I had to abandon the dvd/blu-ray screening due to some technical problem and go find it online to stream instead.

Last edited:

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake

I’ve been weeding my collection for the past several years of titles I’ll never watch again and it’s been nearly impossible to find takers. Local charities, schools and libraries have no interest - it’s just stuff to them that they don’t want and can’t use, and the effort to either store it or sell it would exceed whatever pittance it brought in. Very few things have found buyers on Amazon and eBay. I’ve put up for sale posts on HTF’s classifieds and almost nothing sold. Because of shipping and handling costs, not to mention the time it takes to package items and drop off at the post office, it winds up being both a time and money loser.

I’m not saying that to be a jerk. I enjoy this hobby. But I have no expectations that anyone will want this stuff when I’m gone.

That’s also why I don’t argue with people about why I collect. Most of the arguments in this and many other threads about why discs are better are emotional rather than logical arguments filled with straw men scenarios. Speaking for myself, it’s far more honest to say “I do it because I enjoy it” than assigning any other justification.
a fair and possibly factual view. I think the emotional component "I enjoy it" has to be a part of any hobby for sure, but not mutually exclusive with logical reasons as well - along the lines of control of content, ability to watch things which are not or might no longer be streamable, higher predictable quality, etc.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
a fair and possibly factual view. I think the emotional component "I enjoy it" has to be a part of any hobby for sure, but not mutually exclusive with logical reasons as well - along the lines of control of content, ability to watch things which are not or might no longer be streamable, higher predictable quality, etc.

Thing is (often very inexpensive) digital purchases from say iTunes, especially if they're Movies Anywhere-eligible, do offer much of that is part of Josh's point. No, it doesn't guarantee quite as much as physical media, but for many of us, it's close enough for many/most cases.

The gap has closed very substantially. That's why I started diving into digital purchases a little over a year ago. Before that, I was also in the physical media only, non-streaming camp...

Of course, for those still w/out reliable, fast internet access, this may not be a good option at all, but for the rest of us... And of course, none of us are suggesting to go exclusively w/ streaming either...

_Man_

gralenk

Grip
Real Name
gralen young
To be honest I am older and though I do stream I find that DVD are better. I bought angels had fallen and saw it in blu ray. Next night I found it on Netflick and I could see and hear the difference. I also saw air force one the same way and on DVD the sound was better

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
To be honest I am older and though I do stream I find that DVD are better. I bought angels had fallen and saw it in blu ray. Next night I found it on Netflick and I could see and hear the difference. I also saw air force one the same way and on DVD the sound was better

Nothing beats seeing movies in cinemas and on actual film.. Unfortunately that is almost non -existent today. Even seeing a film in 70mm has lost it's appeal for me as the 3 suburban cinemas in Sydney so equipped, have very small screens for 70mm projection. I also prefer seeing films on bluray rather than streaming them but the cost becomes too much so streaming is perfect if you only want to see a film/tv series once. THE POWER OF THE DOG is my favourite film seen so far this year. Another masterpiece from Jane Campion.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Nothing beats seeing movies in cinemas and on actual film.. Unfortunately that is almost non -existent today. Even seeing a film in 70mm has lost it's appeal for me as the 3 suburban cinemas in Sydney so equipped, have very small screens for 70mm projection. I also prefer seeing films on bluray rather than streaming them but the cost becomes too much so streaming is perfect if you only want to see a film/tv series once. THE POWER OF THE DOG is my favourite film seen so far this year. Another masterpiece from Jane Campion.
You know what's funny... the better my home theater becomes, the less I want to actually go to a regular cinema theater because my setup is 'better'. Higher picture quality, clearer and more identifiably-discrete sound, my seats have a power-adjustable headrest and the final nail in the coffin for theaters is that if I watch a movie at home there are zero crying babies or annoying people talking during dialogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzook
Recent bookmarks