What's new

How do you explain your love of physical media in an era of streaming? (1 Viewer)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
One specific example is Toy Story 2; Disney cut a gag from the film for Disney+ and for the 4K release because of the manner in which Lassitter behaved/left the company and they felt it suddenly was inappropriate. I purchased it on a then out of print blu ray in order to get the best release of the complete film. There's also the changes they made to some of their older package films, digitally editing out gags involving smoking, or in one case, completely editing out a sequence (Hatfields and McCoys.) Some of these changes were later reversed for blu ray releases, but not all of them. And of course they've changed Fantasia and Who Framed Roger Rabbit multiple times over the years, not just for streaming. If you don't have a physical copy, in some cases of the original 35 mm film, you don't have it as originally released. With movies being released direct-to-streaming and not getting any sort of physical release, we won't even have that in the future, but only pirate versions of films that could be censored to accommodate changing tastes.
What gag was cut from Toy Story 2?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What gag was cut from Toy Story 2?
It's in the outtakes at the end of the movie when Stinky Pete is telling a couple of Barbie dolls that he can get them a part in Toy Story 3 has been deleted from the streaming version.

I can't remember if the UHD still had it but if there's ever another new physical release of the movie, I'm sure it'll be cut from that too.

You can see it around 3:45 here:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It's in the outtakes at the end of the movie when Stinky Pete is telling a couple of Barbie dolls that he can get them a part in Toy Story 3 has been deleted from the streaming version.

I can't remember if the UHD still had it but if there's ever another new physical release of the movie, I'm sure it'll be cut from that too.

You can see it around 3:45 here:

Ah, I remember hearing about that. Yeah, avoiding this type of edit is a good argument for buying physical media.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I didn't realize network TV still did movie premieres. That takes me back.

Over the past decade or so, tv networks don't advertise it as much anymore. They are no longer "big events" which catch everybody's attention.

For example, I recently watched the 2019 "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" movie on an off-the-air ota local tv channel. (I have already read the novelization book, but previously didn't watch through the actual movie that closely).

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Over the past decade or so, tv networks don't advertise it as much anymore. They are no longer "big events" which catch everybody's attention.

For example, I recently watched the 2019 "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" movie on an off-the-air ota local tv channel. (I have already read the novelization book, but previously didn't watch through the actual movie that closely).
Was it as good as the 3 hour TV cut of Superman? Hope there's some more Lando/Chewie material.

Or maybe that doesn't happen anymore. :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Was it as good as the 3 hour TV cut of Superman? Hope there's some more Lando/Chewie material.

I have no idea. I have never seen the theatrical nor the bluray versions of "The Rise of Skywalker".

Or maybe that doesn't happen anymore. :)

Is the 3 hour tv cut the version which shows the kryptonian villains being arrested by law enforcement, after they lose their powers ?

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I have no idea. I have never seen the theatrical nor the bluray versions of "The Rise of Skywalker".

Is the 3 hour tv cut the version which shows the kryptonian villains being arrested by law enforcement, after they lose their powers ?
That must be Superman II, as Lex is the only villain in the first film.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Yes, it is fun to actually own one of your favorite films. I still, because I am over 50, think "Wow, I own my own copy of Dr. Strangelove!" or Apocalypse Now, or The Wild Bunch or whatever.

That's one of the things that thrilled me when home video became a thing. After years and years of being able to own books, I was excited to be able to own movies in a similar way.

[I've snipped out the rest of Reggie's post to save space, since I don't have anything else specific to reply to, but in a more general response...]

I have an archivist's soul. By avocation, I'm a bibliographer and a filmographer. As a collector, I've had a special predilection for the somewhat obscure. And a good part of what drives that is a desire to not see those things get lost. Those of us interested in, say, the silent era of filmmaking are properly horrified that such a large percentage of the films made in that period are lost. We cringe at stories about vault fires that have destroyed so many original negatives. We all wish we could see what von Stroheim intended for Greed, or Welles for The Magnificent Ambersons. And barring a miracle, no one ever will.

Back in the day, private ownership of film prints were verboten, but then it turned out that some films or sequences only managed to be saved because someone happened to have the material hidden away in a private collection. Someone having physical copies becomes a necessity for preservation.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Here are my pickups this week (hopefully my Heavy Metal steelbook comes before the weekend):

April 21, 2022 Pickups.JPG

I'm really looking forward to watching Possessor. This German steelbook is awesome looking.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m looking forward to seeing it again at home - I think some of the stuff that started feeling long-winded at the theater may play better from the comfort of my couch.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I never thought I would say this... My days of collecting movies on shiny discs are coming to a close. I still plan to buy certain films, perhaps even the occasional one on 4K disc. But the majority of my spending will be for digital versions via iTunes. And if the film is permanently available on one of the high quality streaming services I subscribe to (such as Disney+), then there's no point in even buying a digital copy.

Simple math: Buy 4K versions of Disney films for $19.99 - $27.99 (digital or disc) or pay $79.99 per year and have access to pretty much the entire Disney library? At $25 a pop, less than 4 discs (or digital purchases) per year would cost more than Disney+.

Mark

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Here are my pickups this week (hopefully my Heavy Metal steelbook comes before the weekend):

View attachment 134844

I'm really looking forward to watching Possessor. This German steelbook is awesome looking.

I really enjoyed Possessor. It showed David's son did not fall far from the tree. Not sure, but you may have the cut version of Possessor there. The "Uncut" version comes with a yellow cover and says "Uncut" on it. The red cover is an edited cut removing I believe some of the sex/nudity and violence.

If that matters to you I would seek out the version with the yellow cover.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Got mine the other day. I'm not sure the movie still holds up. From my current perspective of an old fart, it seems too juvenile (wow! really? what makes you think that?!) and more a product of its time, but I still enjoy the bulk of it.

Heavy Metal 2000, on the other hand...oh lordy, is it awful...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I really enjoyed Possessor. It showed David's son did not fall far from the tree. Not sure, but you may have the cut version of Possessor there. The "Uncut" version comes with a yellow cover and says "Uncut" on it. The red cover is an edited cut removing I believe some of the sex/nudity and violence.

If that matters to you I would seek out the version with the yellow cover.

Luckily this is the German steelbook (I think it's the only steelbook, actually) and it's the uncut version. It also has a 13.1 Auro 3D audio track.

Here's a full shot:

Possessor.JPG

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Got mine the other day. I'm not sure the movie still holds up. From my current perspective of an old fart, it seems too juvenile (wow! really? what makes you think that?!) and more a product of its time, but I still enjoy the bulk of it.

Heavy Metal 2000, on the other hand...oh lordy, is it awful...
Some of the shorts have always been way too juvenile (especially the cornball alien abduction bit that feels straight out of SNL), but others like Harry Canyon and Captain Sternn still hold up (and maybe Taarna).

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Still no delivery on my copy of Heavy Metal, but this just arrived:

Benedetta.JPG

My spouse and I are going to The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent tonight, but Benedetta and hopefully Heavy Metal are on the docket for Saturday night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks