What's new

How do you explain your love of physical media in an era of streaming? (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The major scam in the industry right now is to offer you the digital version first and in turn lessening the physical content sales because the hype has ended.

If there are more people who are willing to pay a premium for the initial digital release than people who are willing to pay for a later bluray (or 4Kbluray) release, then it is not a scam. It is smart marketing. ;)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm not about to read through 14 pages and hundreds of comments to address the original topic so I have no idea how badly it veered off tangent, if at all.

Fair enough but you probably should have at least perused the overall thread as most of what you say has already been discussed every which way it could be.

Physical media is your license for the content. You can transfer it if you so chose to. Ownership means you have the legal right to give that disc away, resell it, trade it, loan it etc... that's why corporations invest so heavily into digital streaming and coming up with clever mind tricks to entice people to pay for it. They want to get paid whenever someone's eyes or ears experience that content because they want to be in your home or in your car monitoring what you do with it.
Sure but that's basically their job, to generate lasting revenue streams.

I'm not opposed to digital when it comes to paying for Disney+ or Netflix since those services are meant to feed mass consumption of disposable content not meant for the collector or enthusiast.

More or less agree.

Unfortunately, the real reason to choose physical over virtual is dictated by the circumstances. Having a well thought out dedicated home theater meant for the cinema at home experience on a large projected screen demands physical media.

I would say your thinking is a bit narrow here. There are streaming sources that already offer pretty good quality and more are sure to come. Even Kaleidescape has at least entertained the idea of a more affordable solution aimed at the mid-level consumer. There are barriers [Internet speed, etc.] but I expect things to improve there as well. Aside from that, you have to understand, corporate decisions are usually made for the masses, not enthusiasts. By definition, we will always be a minority, and even among us I expect only a relative few have dedicated rooms.

I would consider it clinically insane to spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on an 11 - 16 channel DTS:X / Dolby Atmos dedicated home theater system with a $18,000 4K projector on a 150" or larger screen
The same general sentiment was likely expressed concerning cell phones, ATM's and any number of other transitional technologies in years past but, again, minority interests do not dictate the marketplace. If you're under the age of 60 I would expect the day to come when you no longer have the option of buying physical copies. I share your dissatisfaction with that reality but it's reality nonetheless.

I'm perfectly secure in saying that the bulk of the recent collectible 4K titles will be the last time many films will see a release on physical formats.

There you have it. I hope you're wrong here but even if you are, it's just a matter of time.

Serious home theater enthusiasts are the real victims here.

On that we can definitely agree.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Personally, I don't think anyone who has a "love" for physical media needs to explain anything. A lot of people like to feel like they have control over their movie choices and that is what physical media delivers for them. I haven't been buying much in the way of discs lately; however, if someone else enjoys the hobby via movies on disc then it is their money and no explanation is needed.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Personally, I don't think anyone who has a "love" for physical media needs to explain anything. A lot of people like to feel like they have control over their movie choices and that is what physical media delivers for them. I haven't been buying much in the way of discs lately; however, if someone else enjoys the hobby via movies on disc then it is their money and no explanation is needed.

Probably the only caveat (for some of us anyhow) is WAF, haha...

_Man_

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I haven't been buying much in the way of discs lately; however, if someone else enjoys the hobby via movies on disc then it is their money and no explanation is needed.
About the only "discs" I have purchased in recent months, are mostly audio cds.

I am pretty much only buying titles which I am willing to devote my full attention to listening/watching. If someting is mostly just "background noise" for me, then I won't bother buying the cd/dvd/bluray discs.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
what is your digital purchase, streaming and physical ratio when watching content?

I'm about 60% streaming, 30% physical, and 10% digital purchase.
I know this wasn't a response to me, but just curious to see where we're all at on this specific angle.

in my case I'm probably 80% physical, 20% streaming 0% digital. I stream things to check them out but haven't wanted to 'buy' a digital copy of anything due to the aforementioned concerns about not having control over it (platform could die, specific content might no longer be hosted for various reasons, etc).

If I stream something new and really enjoy it - sure I will want to watch again I'll usually buy a physical copy.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
"no 4Kbluray = no sale"

:dancing-banana-04:
:emoji_cherries:
For me it's generally "no Atmos track, no sale." I'll make exceptions for non-action, dialogue driven titles. For awhile it looked like Atmos and 4K were a package deal but I've seen some recent regular Blu Rays with Atmos tracks and will sometimes buy those over 4K, depending on price and specific title.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I guess I'm in the minority here, as I still find theatrical screenings to be the best way to see movies. While I've had a few terrible experiences with clueless and rude audience members - someone brought a screaming infant to The Exorcist, and someone else waited until Apocalypse Now started to make (not even take) a phone call - most audiences have enhanced the experience. I've also learned to avoid certain theatres and showtimes, and I'm lucky enough that a lot of classic films and even obscurities still get screened - I saw a 35mm print of The Keep a couple of weeks ago, which I never thought I'd get to see on a big screen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess I'm in the minority here, as I still find theatrical screenings to be the best way to see movies. While I've had a few terrible experiences with clueless and rude audience members - someone brought a screaming infant to The Exorcist, and someone else waited until Apocalypse Now started to make (not even take) a phone call - most audiences have enhanced the experience. I've also learned to avoid certain theatres and showtimes, and I'm lucky enough that a lot of classic films and even obscurities still get screened - I saw a 35mm print of The Keep a couple of weeks ago, which I never thought I'd get to see on a big screen.
Absolutely. And I say that as the most antisocial person you'd ever want to meet but even I love going out and seeing a movie with a crowd. It makes a good movie even more fun.
A subject matter worth discussing, but perhaps not in this thread as we already have the "disc versus streaming" debate going on here. :laugh:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My home theater (when not flood disabled) beats every shoe box theater by a mile. When I move to laser projection it will give Dolby Cinema and imax a run. I still see at least a movie a week in Dolby/Imax because I enjoy the social experience and treat myself to a nice meal out at the avenue. A list was a game changer

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think it is impossible to beat the cinema experience. Minus all the nit picks, watching with a good crowd on a big screen is still the best. However, with home theater innovations getting better, and hardware becoming insanely cheap. There are a lot more reasons to stay home. so much content in the streaming world is designed to replicate that huge blockbuster at the cinema. I can't wait to see that Boba Fett series on my big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks