1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you eat a coconut?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, May 24, 2004.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

It's been about 25 years since I've had fresh coconut (the only way I'll eat coconut, mind you). So, I thought I'd have some fun with my 4 year old and bought a one at the grocery store.

It came with instructions on how to drain the milk and crack it open, but, it didn't really tell you what to do after that.

So, here I stood with two halves of beautiful snowy white coconut. I managed to pry some out, but along with the white pulp came a layer of brown skin that seemed pretty well attached to the pulp. Am I supposed to eat this stuff?

I carved away at the pulp with a knife and thought there's got to be a better way. What's the best way to get the coconut meat out of there?

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Yup. It's harmless. Depending of the coconut's age (i.e. if it's old enough), the pulp should come off clean.

I want to go home [​IMG]

--
    H

3. John*C

John*C Stunt Coordinator

Coconut can eaten or made into a carrier oil for Aromatherapy. Split the coconut then cook the pulp saving the liquid, I make my own easter eggs from a formula handed by my great grandmother. I have a Easter egg not just at Easter time. one of the liquids I use in a carrier oil to thin out the very concentrated Essential Oils when applying externally. It makes your dermis (skin) softer when rubbed on with cucumber in the morning to cleanse the skin. I chop it up in my mortar(hammer) and pestle(bowl. You see them in the window when you go to certain pharmacies a bowl with a stick higher than the bowl.

Coconut can be mixed with avocado or safflower when cooking foods, it's much less expensive than saffron. Coconut flakes can be a Salad topping. One of the naturals I use when adding to a essential oil to make a botanical air spray, my favorite is orange, vanilla, and coconut oil. pleasant aroma to have when visitors come calling and won't be over powering. In aromacology it can be used as the base note in making perfume or cologne, perfume has 3 notes base, middle or heart and top~ coconut oil would best used as a base for your 'own' signature scent.[​IMG]

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I think my grandma used to bake it in the oven until it cracked, then it was easier to peel the meat out and eat it. But I can't for the life of me remember at what temp or for how long.

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both together.

6. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

With a lime?

edit: Rob beat me to it [​IMG]