What's new

How do you display your "Walt Disney Treasures"? (1 Viewer)

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Since these DVD's cover multiple periods of time, I was wondering what organization method everyone here uses to display their sets (if you have all of them or just a few).

I don't store them in the tins, just the keepcases, putting the tins in a safe place or on display somewhere else. When I first got Wave 2, I put the keepcases on the shelf in a general order of release, with Wave 1 first followed by Wave 2. Now, however, I have them displayed loosely chronological, using the first date featured on the timeline (found on the back of each set). Given the double width size of the cases, I don't store them with my other Disney features (as those are stored on racks that can only accomodate single width).

Yeah, oddball topic, but just curious :)

- Steve

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't keep them in the tins either, mainly because I find then too bulky, so I also put the tins away for safe keeping. I keep my DVDs in order of studio so all my Disneys are together and I simply put all the treasures at the beginning of those, together in one batch.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I keep my tins on display along with the boxes for various box sets. Disney, WB, and Criterion are sorted out by studio, The Disney Treasures are the very first thing on my shelf, just before the other Disneys and are sorted by the first date on the rear timeline. However I may keep all the Mickymouse together when wave three comes in...

Adam

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Uh, they're like in tins, lying on top of X-Files sets on the bottom shelf of my display case, or something... :D Sorting - ha!

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
Chronological order starting by date of the very first short of each collection. Well, at least I try. All my Disney´s are in chronological order, including the ones released by Anchor Bay (Black Hole, Watcher In the Woods, etc.).

No tins, they get rusty pretty quick in the climate where I live.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I keep them in the tins, and also keep the blue cardboard slip-over strip, so they can be stacked sideways on my shelf but you can (by reading the strip) still tell which is which.

-Lyle J.P.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
All my DVDs are removed from their packaging and stored in slimine jewel cases.

The animated volumes are filed in the ANIMATION category, "Disney Shorts" section, in chronological order (SS, MMBW, MMC, G). The live action volumes are in the TV category, "Disneyland" section (the original name of the series), also in chronological order (DUSA, DC, Inside).

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
However the kids put 'em back in the nifty "rolling out media storage shelves" in the entertainment center.

Anyone who sorts DVD's with 4 small kids in the house has either too much time on their hands, or my utmost respect for being so organized. Or maybe both!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I store these based on the product numbers for order, woith the tins, and the blue bands. I mostly (mostly because my wife wont let me keep Spinal Tap with her other Rob Reiner DVDs)keep my collection organized chronologically by director, but the nature of these (and others) are a little messy.

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
Tins on shelf in alphabetical order, lithos in frames on the living room walls.

DVDs in cases in usual spot, under 'W' in the rack :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Keepcases, merged in with all my other dvds alphabetically. So for example, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, followed by The Complete Goofy, followed by the Complete Private Snafu, etc.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I keep all the WD Treasures together on the shelf (with the other Disney material) in the tins with the blue cardboard strips. Since the tins aren't bigger than they are, I think it works well to have them on the shelf together with the rest.

I have them lined up in what I think is a logical order (based on contents - and including the upcoming third wave):

Silly Symphonies, MM BW, MM Color 1, MM Color 2, DD 1, Goofy, Frontlines, Tomorrowland, Disneyland, Behind The Scenes, Davy Crockett

Brenton

Screenwriter
I've never considered keeping the blue bands. I always regarded them as the sort of packing material that you throw away with the shrinkwrap. Think about it... sliding a flimsy cardboard loop over a metal tin... it just doesn't really "work" for me. For this reason, I was completely unbothered by the fact that the latest wave---and presumably future waves---no longer have them.

One drawback to my stance on the bands is that there is now no way of identifying which volume is which when they are all lined up on the shelf. Also, the tins have always seemed to be an impedance to accessing the discs when I feel like watching them. It's always seemed awkward and cumbersome. For these reasons, I gave up a long time ago on storing them in the tins. I still kept all my tins, tucked away quietly in my closet, but the Treasures are lined up solely in their bare plastic keepcases on my shelf. This introduces another quirky anomaly into the dilemma: the latest wave came in white keepcases. Fortunately, it's not nearly as noticeable on the shelf as I expected.

If you have never considered storing your Treasures in their keepcases outside of the tins, you might be staggered to discover how attractive this actually looks. It's possible to instantly identify which is which without having to squint at the text on the cardboard bands. And with the alternating color schemes in the boxes in which the title is printed, it makes for a colorful and visually pleasing row of cases on the shelf.

As for what order to put them in, I'm a lot less sure, and I actually change my mind on it from time to time. Sometimes I put all of my Mickeys together, but I usually don't. The way they are now is the way that I usually have it, basically in order of wave, and then each title from a particular wave is in a somewhat random order. To ensure its visual appeal, I usually make sure that no very similar colors are next to each other.

Anyway, I think my "method" of keeping them outside of the tins is about to pay off, this morning I just bought a copy of The Complete Goofy on eBay still sealed (but WITHOUT a tin... obviously from the Costco boxset). I think if I had been keeping mine in the tins up to this point, I would at this moment be rethinking it all.

My DVD collection is miniscule compared to what most of you guys have accumulated, so I keep my Treasures on the shelf right next to my full-length Disney features (at this point I have only Dumbo, Bambi, and the Ultimate Toy Box but my collection will be shaping up soon now that I've decided to take it more seriously).

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator
I stash the tins and store the Treasures DVD in their cases at the end of my alphabetically-sorted animated Disney shelf.

But what is particularly obsessive-compulsive is that I've swapped the white double keepcases of the recent batch of Treasures with black double keepcases (scrounged mostly from older 2-disc releases like A Bug's Life CE, Tarzan CE, The Emperor's New Groove CE, Snow White, etc).

So they now match and look oh so nice all in a line.

I need help.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I use the blue bands to see what the titles are without having to pull them out of the shelf. That's why I'm disappointed that the newer ones don't have them. They work like regular DVD spines, and I liked the look of it... until the lack of blue bands on the newer ones caused an inconsistency.

I know there are sites that have custom DVD art. Is there a site that has 'custom Walt Disney Treasures blue bands' that I can print out? ;)

Brenton

Screenwriter
But what is is particularly obsessive-compulsive is that I've swapped the white double keepcases of the recent batch of Treasures with black double keepcases (scrounged mostly from older 2-disc releases like A Bug's Life CE, Tarzan CE, The Emperor's New Groove CE, Snow White, etc).
I've considered doing this. But you know, I think that the white cases don't stand out that much from the spine-view.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I only have one tin (Tomorrowland) so it's pretty easy for me to tell which one it is. :D

It's stored on the same shelf as my multi-disc sets because it fit perfectly in the space I had left over.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
in the tins with the band on the shelf.

has anyone noticed that just about all the steves end their posts like this....

- steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks