How do you discover new, unknown bands, CDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin C Brown, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I couldn't figure out how else to title this one.
    I personally use college radio, Tower's Pulse (believe it or not), Ice Magazine, and the local newspaper. For "confirmation", I use www.allmusic.com, and the reviews on Amazon.
    I don't know about you, but I haven't heard *anything* new and interesting on mainstream radio lately. (The local hard rock/heavy metal station will play Rush from the 80's all day. Yet nada from the new one.)
    Anyway, it seems like I go longer and longer time periods without feeling the need to try something new. (Is that a sign of getting older?)
    (For kicks, my latest "favorite" CD is Winter Birds by Seely. Via the college radio station KSCU. ...Trail of the Dead isn't bad either.)
    => The point: wouldn't it be neat if there was a search engine or a site out there, where I could put in a few of the bands and/or CDs that I like, and using some kind of sophisticated search criteria, *or*, rudimentary AI, pick out new stuff that I might like?
    Or, anyone know if there might be anything out there now?
    Similar to for example Amazon's "suggestions", but that's an after the fact thing. ("Here's some selections that people who have ordered the disc you just ordered, have also ordered.") I'm looking for more "look a head" kind of thing based on the characteristics of the music itself.
    Cheers!

2. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I find new stuff by listening to the Music Choice Progressive station, through digital cable, or radioparadise.com. I also find new stuff from a couple of great radio shows on KCRW, the Los Angeles Public Radio station—"Morning Becomes Eclectic" and "Weekend Becomes Eclectic." But then, it depends on what type of music you listen to. I have discovered some great stuff this way.

I also ask for recommendations from friends who I know have adventurous and impeccable taste.

Don't know of any search engines. but I'd sure be interested.

3. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

You can start by "discovering" Candy Butchers (Mike Viola's band) and their new CD "Play With Your Head"...Oh man is it good! Short (37 minutes) but very good stuff.
    Also discover The Waxwings - Low To The Ground...IMO one of the best albums of the last 5 years...they are due to release a new album soon...I very much look forward to it.
    Oh...and while you are digging...discover Brendan Benson - Lapalco...so good it is almost ridiculous!
    To discover many more bands like these check out:
    http://www.amplifiermagazine.com
    $15 for 6 issues...plus a free CD with each subscription or renewal...with some fine CD's to choose from. Over 100 CD reviews in every issue.
    But the above CD's are a great place to start...if you like catchy as all get out, hook laden, stick to yer brain, can't get it out of my head pop/rock type of music...you can't go wrong with those above.
    NP: 77's - Eighty Eight

4. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I'll find new stuff either through my audiophile brother, my headbanging wife, or listening to the radio. I rarely buy music I've not heard beforehand.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yeah, I have those DMX (?) music stations via my TV cable too. Never hooked it up though. Might be worth a listen... [​IMG]

6. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

I have big wishlists at both amazon.com and cdnow.com they both recommend music and show what other music people are purchasing that's similar.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

With jazz it's pretty easy- musicians play on each other's records, and that way you get exposure to new artists constantly.

With rock, for me it basically all came from getting into 70s prog. All those bands are connected to each other somehow, as well as to newer underground bands. Though I don't listen to that stuff nearly as much anymore, it certainly opened the door.

Frankly, if it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't be into half the bands I was into.

8. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

move to austin texas

9. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    The Cincinnati/Dayton area is blessed to have 97X as a local station, but since they have a webcast, you too can enjoy them by clicking here.
    I've found quite a bit of stuff through them, but I also have a number of knowledgeable friends, so I'm not limited to one source of input. I find myself listening to 3WK much more often, too.
    Brian, I'll be seeing The Waxwings here next month. I already saw them here once, on a campus tour promoting the first album. I'm afraid I can't give it the high praise you do, but it is an extremely solid effort!

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The best music site for "lesser known" bands in my opinion is the excellent Epitonic, with bios, samples of tracks, full tracks for download in mp3 or wma, videos, and even whole albums. Everything on the site is legal, and comes from independent/smaller labels from the USA & around the world.
    I've found a bunch of great bands through their site, just by browsing & sampling.

11. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

notlame.com is a great source for pop/indie pop. Trading CD comps is a good way as well if you know you are swapping with people with similar musical tastes.

12. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Or just tips from people you know...

I'll give you one here...

If you're into female artists, you GOTTA try Alisha's Attic, they're amazing! It's a shame that so few people know of them.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

14. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Well, prior to audiogalaxy going down, i would read my new issue of Magnet Magazine every other month and pick out which bands sounded promising to d/l a few tracks from. I found some great new indie/alternative bands that way. If you're into bands like Trail of Dead and you don't already read Magnet it might be a good place to start.

15. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I'd find a mailing list for bands that you do like, and see what other people have discovered that might be of interest to you. It is how I've found most of the bands that I listen to. Just follow a chain, and all of a sudden, you are broke because of all the new music you have discovered.

Jason

16. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Jason you are right. Once you open up the right avenues and you start discovering new stuff, no matter the type of music you are looking for, there will seem to be an endless supply of new stuff that interests you. So once you start down this trail you may soon find yourself going from complaining about not being able to find any new stuff you like to saying to yourself "man, there is just so much stuff I want to get!". Atleast this is what happened to me several years back. I am constantly buying new stuff and there is still tons out there I would like to get my hands on. So...be prepared for your music spending to go way up!

For example...I am listening to a band called The Montgomery Cliffs right now and their album "Millenium--A Pop Opera" right now. Who the heck has heard of The Montgomery Cliffs! But it is some darn good stuff! Money well spent to quench my own thirst for good new music. And there is tons of this stuff out there just waiting to be discovered.

Look for it. It is all over the internet.

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I knew that if I hung around here long enough, Brian Bunn would post something that I can agree with 100%. [​IMG]
    If you don't want to be caught in the trap of constantly wanting more music, avoid jazz. Some of these artists have discographies longer than a Tolstoy novel.
    I am approaching 1000 CDs in my collection. If I made a list of all the stuff I wanted, it would probably be more than than. And this high-res nonsense is not helping any!

18. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I really like the audiophile magazine "Hi-Fi+" or is it just "Hi-FI" can't remember, anyhow there reviews are really well done, clean looking, and typically spot on. They may not cover all of these really leftfield alt bands being mentioned here, but the variety of albums covered is good and they do quite a few reviews each issue.

Everytime I have looked through the magazine it has left me with a new "must have" CD list.

19. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Hey! I knew it would happen eventually Mike! Anyone who enjoys music (of any kind) as much as you apparently do, Mike, is OK in my book. Sure we don't see eye to eye on many (uh...most!) things but atleast we can agree on the importance of music. And that's all we really need! [​IMG]

20. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Stuff like this, message boards from my favorite bands, and people recommend other bands that I can download. These days, that's where it starts for me.