What's new

How do you determine which dvds don't have previews? (1 Viewer)

WayneLVS

Grip
Is there a way to tell if a dvd in a store has unwanted advertisments and previews? I recently bought 2 from wal-mart and they have 10 min of previews that my dvd player will not let me skip over, or fast forward through.

Maybe the $10 price tag should have been a dead giveaway??

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Its usually dependent on the studio. Universal was the first to put forced previews, but most Miramax and Buena Vista titles have em now.

With that in mind, I have yet to see a DVD that doesnt allow some form of skipping past them. Most of the Miramax/BV titles allow you to press MENU to skip past them, and I believe Universals you can fast forward. They can't force you to sit there for 10 minutes watching previews.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Ahhh... the beauty of HTPC technology . . .

Among the many benefits of this type of setup is the ability to override user prohibition.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, some will not allow the "skip forward" function, but I haven't seen one yet that didn't allow "fast forward."

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
If the forced previews won't let you fast forward and the menu button doesn't work - try pressing stop and then "menu".

It usually works for me - when there is no other alternative.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Ah. I'm "region free" and, as far as I know, "macrovision free", but it would also be great to have "the ability to override user prohibition"...

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Well, if worse comes to worse, and the darned thing won't let you skip the previews, use the chance to go to the bathroom, make sure your snacks and drinks are stocked up, or if they are really annoying, hit the mute button. I get more laughs when I hit the mute button and say, "There! I just raised the IQ of that commercial by at least 100 points."

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, early Disney Titles allowed you to charpter skip, and even that caused a great outcry here and elsewhere. At some point, their titles started appearing with the "Press Menu" option, which is OK with me.

Perhaps an organized campaign of respectful but firm e-mails and phone calls to current offenders would help them see the light?

My wife watched Stepford Wives last night, and I bitched that it was such a PITA to have to chapter through the comemrcials.

BGL

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I noticed Shrek 2 had the non-menuable previews as well. Soon we'll have commercial interruptions during the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks