How do you determine region code on discs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Aaron Cooke, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

My girlfriend wants to send a george carlin dvd to someone in another country so we were trying to determine what region they are but it does not say anywhere on the disc or packaging. Is there anyway to determine what region it's coded for? Hoping it's all region but maybe just region 1. We're looking at the MPI releases. I know the columbia/tristar disc is region 1.

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Does this person in another country have a multi-regional player with the ability to play both PAL & NTSC discs? If so, then it doesn't matter what the region code is on the disc. Ask the person. If this person is restricted to the region code where he lives, then I'd try to buy this title from an international retailer that sell DVDs coded for the person's region.

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

On Amazon they list the info, though I can't vouch for it being correct. Some of the George Carlin DVDs from MPI, according to Amazon.com, are described as being:

"Product Details

* Starring: George Carlin
    * Encoding: Region 1 "

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

There's a free utility DVD Decrypter that will tell you the region coding of a disc in your DVD-ROM drive. Also tells you have many gig, running time and a bunch of other interesting bits of information.

5. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

There is a proggie called DVDInfoPro that will tell you the region coding. A lot of times the packaging says one thing but in reality they might be coded different.

--Ian

6. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Thanks a lot for the info everyone.

7. ChristianB

ChristianB Stunt Coordinator

What country do they live in?

8. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

well i guess there's an additional problem. the guy is from australia, but is currently living in japan for a year. so I'm guessing even if I could find a local disc in japan it wouldn't play when he got back to australia or vice versa. I wouldn't really have any idea what type of dvd player he's using or anything like that.

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

It will play in Australia or anywhere in the world on a a region free player that can play both NTSC (Japan is NTSC, Region 2) and PAL (Australia is PAL, Region 4) discs. Many players can play NTSC and PAL but it must be modified to play all regions, although sometimes a player can be made region-free by changing a value in the service menu. I'd say it's quite likely that your friend already has a region free, NTSC/PAL player. These are very common outside North America.