How do you define terrorism?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Jul 5, 2002.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

People seem to be throwing this word around for every violent act that occurs. But how do you define terrorism? What separates an act from just everyday crime?

Take the LAX thing. It could just be a hate crime (since we all know a lot of countries hate israel), or a failed (but extremely stupid) robbery since one of the victims was a diamond salesman. It could be a suicide attempt. There are many possibilities of what it could be. But everyone seems to just be jumping to the conclusion that it was terrorism without even knowing any of the facts.

Violence happens. People get shot in LA all the time. Hell in Chicago on the 3rd and 4th 7 people were shot and killed. Was that terrorism also? A black guy shoots a white guy...terrorism, hate crime or just violence? A white guy shoots a black guy...terrorism, hate crime or just random violence? What about the cessna that crashed into a park. Terrorism or just pilot or mechanical error? How do you tell the difference?

A group of guys walk into a bank heavily armed. Robs the bank then on the way out get into a gun battle with the police in the streets. Terrorism or just a bank robbery?

A group of guys walk into a bank heavily armed and blow themselves up along with the bank. A botched robbery? Just violence or terrorism?

If you say most violent acts are probably terrorism then what about PETA and other environmental groups? Some of them ram fishing boats. Terrorists?

Would Washington and other founding fathers be considered terrorists if they were around in these days?

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Hey! new HTF game. Which admin will close this thread? My vote goes to Jack Briggs [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, here's a dictionary definition (from dictionary.com)

6. Gordon C Jr

Gordon C Jr Stunt Coordinator

Our trusty friend Webster's defines terrorism as: “The systematic use of terror as a means of coercion” And that’s the way I would define it also.

I see your point and concur with most of your perception; however, I believe that people are throwing this word around as a precautionary measure due to the recent 9/11 and rightfully so. Is it labeling unfortunate events prematurely, “YES”..

This labeling has a lot to due with the Television news media and their coverage. The media can change an events label, in the matter of a sentence. Why did the media mention LAX shooting was at Israeli Airlines counter.. Would they have mentioned the airline by name if it were American Airlines or United Airlines? Hard to say, but the immediate response from the public in this day and age, (much different than our founding fathers era might I add.) was to ask, “Was this a terrorist attack?” Especially, since this was at a mid-east country counter.

You are correct in stating this could just have been a robbery, however the media may never divulge that information, nor seek it, unless it will attract viewers or a good selling story. Now think, would you be more inclined to watch a news network televising a possible local robbery OR a network televising a possible global impacting terrorist attack. My guess is the latter, since it could impact yourself.

My 2 cents a something to think about

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Well said Chris.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

10. Gordon C Jr

Gordon C Jr Stunt Coordinator

My comment is not a matter of why they reported the news, but more a matter of how much news they report and what information to leave in or not. Why couldn’t the report just said, “at a ticket counter”. I believe the news probably would have stated it that way if it were American or Delta. I also don’t think the news, nor this thread, would be discussing terrorism in such detail, if this happened at American ticket counter. You’re racial profiling an airlines (sounds strange, but valid)

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well said Robert.

--
    Holadem

13. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

I am concerned that the term "terrorism" would be bastardized to refer to any intimidating act. For example, the action of men who sexually harassed in the workplace can be defined as "terrorism," or bullies who intimidate the weak can be defined so.

"Terrorism" can be so bastardized as to demonize the action of some people. Democrats may accuse Republicans of terrorism regarding the issue of Social Security or any political issue. Some anti-corporation fanatics are calling corporations that drive out small, but noncompetitive businesses as "terrorists."

Remember that terrorism is a political act and should never become abused.

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think the dictionary definition of Terrorism is clear. Why cloud it up with other forms of violence that do not fall under the definition of the word? Violence is violence, terrorism is one part of that broad topic of violence.

15. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I think the definition provided by the FEMA website is the one I associate terrorism more closely with. I also tend to think that violence targeted against non-combatants counts as terrorism. Basically acts are not intended to disable the infrastructure or armed forces of an enemy but instead to create fear and intimidation count as terrorism.

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

17. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Well said Joseph.

18. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    I dont agree. Who are we to dictate the rules of war to the world?

19. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter