What's new

How do you decide? (1 Viewer)

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Dallas
Andy Griffith
Seinfeld
Star Trek TOS

All pretty much required purchases because they were very popular shows, all with what TV Land calls "rewatchability".

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

That's an awesome ways to save money. I too suffer from wanting things because they're new. Or because it's the latest thing that everyone is discussing. It gets me all hyped up. I'd say 30-40% of my wishlist simply evaporates from lack of interest after sitting there for 6-12 months.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I don't buy a lot of TV but own some titles. I bought Kids in the Hall Season 1 because I enjoyed the show a lot. I bought seasons 1/2 of Curb Your Enthusiasm because I loved Seinfeld and a good friend with similar tastes raved about it. I bought Simpsons season 1 because it was $9.99 at Best Buy during Thanksgiving.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Anything I liked when it was originally on, provided it is released in its original form. If its been tampered with, I don't buy it, I transfer the VHS, best example being Wiseguy. If it has not been tampered with, example Freaks and Geeks, I buy it. Except for a handful of shows, I don't really care about anything from post 1980 so I pretty much stick with shows from before then.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well with my ever increasing Wall of TV suppasing my time available to watch it all this is a very good question.

I look at the title's rewatchability now more than ever, and Price. Also how it was mastered is now figuring more into my decision. I recently passed on Image's Syndication versions of Combat and will probably do so again on Night Galary, even thou they are shows I like.

I still do some blind buys. I heard great things from my Parents on "Have Gun will travel" but never saw a single show. But I love Westerns and Paramounts Great price on the Box I took a chance and I'm lovin' it and my Parents are happy to see them again.

Newer shows are mostly Genre shows like Dead Zone, Smallville and the Shield and Boomtown, Homicide etc.

Time is precious and TV definately cuts into regular movie watching so being selective is becoming harder and harder but neccessary

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Bill that's fantastic and it might become my new standard, and when you think about it it makes sense. I never bough Law & Order becasue I can get that 5 times a day, when you think about it same thing with Seinfeld. Of course I'm buying MASH and you can get that a million times on FX. But it's a criteria I might start thinking about

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I started watching Northern Exposure a few weeks ago and got sucked into it. Great show, I don't know why I missed it when it first came out. I like it enough to buy the DVDs but it's on 4 or 5 nights a week so I don't feel the need to go out and get it right now. Plus they just ran the pilot episode the other night so I'll probably get to watch the entire series. Maybe in a few years when it's out of syndication I'll go back and buy it.

It's more of a priority for me to buy shows like Red Dwarf and Babylon 5 that I can't watch any other way.

Rodrick

Second Unit
When I bought my 1st tvboxset it was season 5 STTNG because I knew someone that owned the entire set, thru a contest and he won it all. I bought the Scooby Doo Where are you cause I liked them as a kid, not many seasons with original looking characters, they look dumb in the newer Scooby shows. And never show the old episodes on tv anymore.

Another person I know owns all the Xfiles on DVD thru buying. They both tease me cause I had no interest in buying tvshowsondvd cause I will just tape all my shows and keep them.

I got hooked and stupidly bought into 2 series that have tons of seasons to buy. But never taped any. Frasier/Cheers StNG.
Im gonna only buy tvshows that don't have many seasons and if I like it. And just keep taping the many seasons ones that I like like 7th Heaven, That 70's, and start taping Frasier, even though I started buying the first 3 seasons.

Just too expensive to buy into seasons.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Well, I usually purchase my TV on DVD used from the Amazon.com Marketplace. What I do is I check Amazon.com & I looked for used TV on DVD copies which are in my price range. Basically, I won't pay more than $40 for a TV on DVD. For example, I want the Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Seasons 2 & above & I want to purchase the seasons of Angel but $45 new is expensive to me but I can find copies used on Amazon.com Marketplace for between $25-$40 used. Basically, since there are many TV shows which I want to buy, I buy the cheapest first then I wait for a used/new copy to come out in my price range. Sometimes, I purchase a TV show from Circuit City or Wal-Mart but not too many times.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I tried to limit myself to just two series (Buffy and Angel), but then Alias season one came out at a good price, and I snapped that up. However, two factors have kept me from getting the second season - I have yet to see all of season one on DVD (I saw it when it aired, though), which I find strange, because all of my other sets, I can fly through; and I already have all of season 2 on VCD (I couldn't watch it on TV, and tried taping, but missed several episodes, so I downloaded them). But the better quality on some of the episodes plus widescreen will lead me to buy the set eventually.

Anyway, I started getting Roswell because I was getting my wisdom teeth out in May, and Buffy season six wasn't coming out until the week after. Fortunately, by the time Roswell season 2 comes out, Buffy should be complete on DVD, and Angel will most likely finish in January or February, so I can concentrate on Alias, and maybe add Smallville.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks