How do you decide on the appropriate size SV Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ryan_AS, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Ryan_AS

Ryan_AS Auditioning

Based on research and all the glowing reviews on HTF, I've decided on an SV subwoofer for my soon to be completed HT.

Question is how do you know what you need? Here is my particular setup. My room will be 12 x 26 with 8' ceiling, acoustic tiles and carpet. This is a basement with concrete for subflooring and left and front walls. The room is pretty much a perfect rectangle. I'm planning on a 92" screen so I'll sit about 12' back.

I'm not sure if all this info is useful but how do I choose a sub for this setup. I want it to do the job but of course I don't want to play too much.

Thanks.

2. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Pick the one you think you need, then go up to prices on the ladder [​IMG]

Actually, your best bet is to give them a call, they will def not oversell you and reco exactly what you need.

You have a decent sized room their, going to need sub pretty major woofage there.
    I would image a pb12/ + 2 would be right for your room.

3. Craig_O

Craig_O Agent

I say get the biggest sub you can afford. Come up with a budget and then buy accordingly. You can never have enough bass. My room is aprox 1500sq ft and I went with the PC-ULTRA and couldn't be happier.

4. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I also own a PC-Ultra and I agree with Craig_O. I would go with nothing less than an Ultra for a room that size. Hmmm....maybe even twin Ultra's, now that would thump. But call SVS with the specs, their customer service is excellent.

5. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    I looked in my wallet [​IMG]

6. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I was so confused when I did mine. I already had dual NHT's that were pretty big and had great power amps for each one but the tactical stuff from movies just was not there. (Paid like twice the price of the SVS for them too) They served me well until I found SVS and started reading things on different sites on the web about them. I had no idea what to get and money was not a big issue with me but I did not want a 3K sub.

Anyway I wound up calling them and hooking up with Ron there. (you could not ask for a nicer person to work and talk with) he will not over sell you and actually spent 1/3 of his day trying to help me get my old subs working better to where I may not have to buy anything at all. Now that speaks of customer service. Anyway after a day or two of doing what he told me I still could not get what I wanted from them. I called back and he recommended a sub that would work for my room dimensions and such. Being me and always having to go for the next biggest I did. I forgot what he recommended at the time. I tried but I one upped it and got a PB2+2 which is the same as the PB12+2 now. It was night and day difference between my old NHT's, not even close. I was so happy and thrilled, everyone in the house was, including the wife who usually does not care about sound that much. She is the kind that the TV speakers are good enough.
    I had that one for two years when they started coming out with new colors. I had to drop back I guess what one might say one step to get a PB12Ultra in Oak with that single monster driver in it. I got it and really thought it was a bit tighter in sound and faster and did a great job on the tactical stuff.. just needed a boost on the test sound patterns of a couple extra higher than my last one and its doing great. Am completely satisfied. Thanks Ron!

Anyway that is the best way to buy an svs is to call them (the horses mouth you might say) and let them figure out what you need and go from there. Just my opinion but they are all nice and decent folks there and want you to be happy but will not oversell you. Its kind of like old companies used to be ya know... ever heard of them old places actually called "Honest". Hard to find in this day and age with few exceptions.
    Good Luck
    Mike L.