What's new

How do you count your DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Kirby

Auditioning
I'm curious as to how some of you count your collection. Whenever someone asks me how many DVD's I have I never know what to answer. For instance does the Godfather box set count as 1 since it all comes in 1 set, 5 because that is the number of discs, or 3 because that is the number of films it contains. How about TV shows? Do you count the number of discs in the set or just count the whole season as one unit? Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I refer to my collection as how many titles I have. If its a movie or documentary, I say one title (DVD) (regardless of how many supplement discs) per movie. I consider The Godfather (and Back to the Future) to be boxed sets with 3 movies in them, so I count those as 3. If its a TV series, I count that as one title, so one DVD.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I'm do the same as Mike. I don't know why anyone would actually count how many discs they have and quote that if someone asked how many dvds they have. Might as well count all the blank dvdrs on the spindle then too.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Good question. I count my movies as one per title. So like in the Godfather example I count that as 3 movies. Also what I do is keep track of the number of discs per title. When someone asks how many movies I have I will say (for example) I have 200 movies spanning 240 discs.

As for TV shows, I havent decided on that yet. Based on how I do movies I will probably count each episode as a title.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
For films, like others say, I count titles. That means a 2 disc dvd of a film gets counted as 1, and 2 films on 1 dvd gets counted as 2.

I'm a bit different with tv shows though. Basically, I figure the amount of episodes put on 1 disc is about equal to the length of a movie, so I count those by discs. To count the seven dvds of Star Trek: TNG season 3 as 1 dvd seems wrong to me.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
For TV series I think it would be OK to count them as separate discs. If, say, you have all forty of the Star Trek original-series discs, each of which contain two episodes, you're obviously justified in counting them as forty discs. But it's unfair to have all seven seasons of TNG and merely count it as "seven," when you have four episodes per disc. So, I count that as forty-eight discs.

But with single films that may have as many as four discs in an all-out SE, I count 'em as one each. Yet multiple film titles in a boxset should be counted as separate titles.

My opinion, at least.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No, I think that is a really dumb question to ask, and brings up braggring rights. Heck, I can't leave out all of the 'extras' disks that I have. 793 and counting. 907 expected by the end of this year!

Glenn

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Just according to individual titles. The Godfather series is 3 separate entries. The Indy Jones set, 3 films. Any bonus discs I don't bother counting. I toyed with the idea of counting Brazil twice since I have the Criterion edition that has 2 diff versions of the film but I decided against it.

I also have a separate list that discerns btwn Special/Collector's/Director's editions but that's just for insurance purposes, Lord forbid I'd ever need it because of theft or fire.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I have to go with Jack on this one. I've got box sets of the different Star Trek, Smallville, and MASH series, for example, and I count each season as one set. Every movie in my collection, whether it's 1, 2, 3, or 4 discs, I count as one individual entry. Even the box sets of movie series I count as one individual entry. Ditto for multiple-disc DVD-Rs in my collection.

The oddity in my collection is one of my favorite film series, the Superman films. Because I bought each film individually, beginning with the Superman SE, then going to IV, then picking up II and III on their own, I listed them as separate entries in my collection, rather than grouping them as one 4-disc entry under "The Complete Superman Movie Collection".

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I count my collection this way-

TV series sets- 1 entry per season

Multi-disc collector's editions of
1 film- 1 entry

Multi-disc sets of multiple films-
1 entry per film (example- for the
Robocop trilogy- 3 entries)

Multi-disc sets of multiple films
with bonus disc(s)- 1 entry per film
and 1 entry for the bonus disc(s)
(example- The Ultimate Toy Box- 2
entries for the films and 1 entry
for the bonus disc)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
kirby, you're diving way too deep into this.
If the question was how many movies do you own, you could add them up.

The same would go for TV series & sets - but not for how many DVD's do you own. YOu just count them, no?

I know what you're getting at, but like I said, the question is too general.

Glenn

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
DVDPedia, thanks to my cuecat, counts by number of barcoded items. Generally, the bar code is on the slipcase of the box set.

423 items, including:

Alien Quadrilogy: 1 item
Babe 2-pack: 1 item
Back to the Future trilogy: 1 item
my custom Baltimore Box Set (Avalon, Liberty Heights, Diner, Tin Men): 1 item*
Chaplin Collections: both box sets, 1 item each
Fantasia Anthology: 1 item
Godfather trilogy: 1 item
High School Reunion Set: 1 item
Indiana Jones Box Set: 1 item
Marx Bros. WB Box Set: 1 item
Monster Legacy gift box: 1 item
each individual Monsters Legacy package (be it Dracula, Wolf Man or Frankenstein) 1 item each**
National Lampoon's Vacation Ultimate set: 1 item
Poltergeist 2/3: 1 item
Scarface box set: 1 item
Spider Man Limited Box Set: 1 item
Teen Wolf 1/2: 1 item
Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box: 1 item
Troll 1/2: 1 item
X-Men Collection:1 item

* This is because each case isn't on my shelf
** This is because each case IS on my shelf, and not in a slipcase.

Now, aren't you glad you asked?

CDE,

CS

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, just give a round number.

I know a lot of people don't count this way, but I just go by packaging. If it's one purchase, it's one to add to your total.

There are a few exceptions like Indiana Jones, but everything else just counts as 1 (including TV seasons). I even count multi-season sets (like Dilbert and The Critic) as 1 each.

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
I use Craig's method, except I use DVD Profiler. One item per bar code. Except for bragging rights, I don't see the use of counting each and every disk.

I maintain records of my purchases for insurance purposes, and for keeping track of my DVD's since I let certain friends and relatives borrow them. Therefore the only important number is the number of packages (bar codes) I have purchased.

If someone "pushes" me for how many I own, I generally say something like "about 1000". Been saying that since I reached 900 in DVD profiler, still don't actually have a thousand, but its a nice round number for those that ask how many I have.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I count my movies by title, theatrically shown films only... I don't include my TV collection in the count. So yeah, Godfather box set counts as 3. LOTR TE and EE's count as 1 each though (so I currently count 5 LOTR films among my collection). Yet I count Almost Famous (Untitled) as just 1, even though there are two cuts of the film.

I know it seems weird to think about this sort of thing, but I'm glad I'm not alone. :) For TV, it just gets messy... complete series of Star Trek TOS and TNG, a season of Sex and the City, HBO's From The Earth to the Moon, a couple of Patriots Super Bowl discs... they're just not the same as movies.

Then of course there's music... those don't count either. Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same counts as 1, and lives in my "movie" shelf, but Led Zeppelin: DVD is over on my CD rack (with the other music DVD's) because it wasn't a theatrical movie.

Then there's the quandry of whether my copies of the Star Wars OOT Laserdiscs count (I decided they do, I have other DVD's that look worse than these and cost less than a blank DVD-R), but will they still count once I get the 9/21 release? I think so, a la my LOTR logic.

God I'm such a nerd. :D

R. Kay

Second Unit
Here's how i count my dvds ...

1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ...

Thanks. Now, I'm exhausted.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
I don't generally count my extras disks as 'movies'...

BUT (there's always an exception)...

I've got a couple of disks I picked up used from box sets that I DO consider in my counting. For example, I own the JFK 2 disk edition, NBKillers Director's Cut SE, and some other Oliver Stone films, but not the box set. I DID purchase the Oliver Stone's America disk used, and it being a pretty good insight from him on his entire career in film, I consider that one more in my collection.

But, yeah, strangely enough, had I purchased the entire box set, it probably wouldn't have counted...

Man, I'm putting too much thought into this - My head hurts...

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
1 for each version of the film on the DVD

Example Identity

2 versions to choose, so counts as 2

Widescreen on front, Pan scan on back = 2

1 for each sound format

Dolby Digital = 1
DTS = 1
Mono = 1
Dolby surround = 1

1 for each language

1 for each subtitle

Flipper – 1 ½ - for the extra labor required

Only kidding here is what I do

Movie no matter how many extra discs or extended versions = 1.
TV series by the year = 1, except for the original star trek = 40
Extra discs if they have a separate case with a bar code = 1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks