What's new

How do you count your DVDs? (1 Viewer)

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Just count the movies. Extra discs and whether they came in a box set or not do not affect the total number.
For non-movies, (ex. Simpsons) I will count one purchase as one "movie".
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just count the movies.
I *really* struggled with this for a looong time. Patton and Ten Commandments really confounded me.
The straightforward solution - for me! - ending up being to only count the shiny round things...the discs themselves. It was the only way that made sense to me, in terms of a non-arbitrary metric. You have a number everyone can agree on and compare to.
Maybe it's that "compare to" thing that has us all confused here. It's not a contest or anything. So what if we don't agree on what the "one true" method of counting our DVD's ought to be? We can agree to disagree, because the alternative is realizing that we're not collecting for entertainment or a hobby...we're doing it for bragging rights: "I've got more than you do! Nyah nyah nyah NYAH nyah!".
You want to REALLY get ambiguous? Try counting T2: Ultimate Edition. Some of us got one disc (DVD18), some of us got 2! Who wins here? How many "titles" do you have, 1 or 3? I can see both sides of the answer. For those of you who answer "1 film", then how will you count Pearl Harbor if you get both the PG-13 rated edition in Dec. and the R rated edition in January? "1 film" or "2 films"?
It's a no-win situation when you "Just count the movies", so any way you feel like counting is okay in my book!
biggrin.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I count the UPC codes on the DVD boxes. If I have a boxed set of many discs, I count the number of UPC codes within the box but not the box itself. By that reckoning I have 217 DVDs.
A two-disc set counts as one DVD if it's housed in one package, such as Gladiator and Hannibal. The eight-disc Nightmare on Elm Street Collection counts as eight DVDs, each in an individual case. There are odd exceptions to this, however, such as with the three-disc Brazil, which ends up counting as three DVDs, not "one." Conversely, the seven-disc Cosmos box set ends up being counted as "one" DVD, largely because the discs aren't individually packaged with their own UPC codes.
I started thinking this way after using DVD Profiler to catalog my collection.
[Edited last by Jonathan Perregaux on August 27, 2001 at 01:25 PM]

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
If the film is a two disc special edition (ex: Fight Club, SE7EN): one movie.
If the film is included in a "double feature" package (ex: Porky's/Porky's 2): two movies.
If a film is included in a boxset (ex: Nightmare On Elm Street Collection, Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Boy): how many movies are in the set (ex: 7 and 2).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I count them by movie. Gladiator: 2 DVD's - 1 movie
I'm at a meager 35 movies and counting.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I count the UPC codes on the DVD boxes. If I have a boxed set of many discs, I count the number of UPC codes within the box but not the box itself. By that reckoning I have 217 DVDs.
May I be anal-retentive for a moment? Please?
You have 217 DVD SKU's (Stock Keeping Units).
EXAMPLE: If you own Gladiator, then you own 1 SKU, but 2 DVD's (Digital Versatile Discs).
Thanks for helping to keep our terminology clear in this thread. I'll go away for a bit, now!
wink.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I count individual movies. So the Toy Story UTB (3 discs) counts as 2, and two-disc sets (movie + supplements) counts as 1.
At last count I had about 110 movies on DVD. I don't count non-movie DVDs (concerts, IMAX, Avia, Cosmos set, cartoons etc.) in that count.
KJP

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
Actually my wife does all my counting. You see I get the old "you spent how much for these (insert # here) DVD's? Just kidding. I use DVDAficionado and it tells me I have 758 titles. I am still adding to this listso I'm not sure what the final count will be but I'm just about done.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks