How do YOU connect more than one sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Henry, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Ben Henry

Ben Henry Extra

Hi all,
    I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect 2 Hsu VTF-2 subs. The instruction manual states that to get the most low level signal from the sub out of your receiver you should use a y connector to send signal to both the rca inputs on the sub,(which are labeled mono and L.) Now that I'm needing to connect two subs to the sub out of the receiver, I'm wondering if I should split the signal with a y connector and then run 2 cables to the subs, splitting each one again to go into both mono and L of each sub. Or should I just run 1 cable to the subs and then y off there with only 1 cable inputting into each of the mono rca ins?
    Thanks for any help,
    Ben

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Ben- My pre/pro has 2 sub out jacks, but that doesn't help you! [​IMG]
    As far as I know, sending one single line to a sub, or splitting it at the sub to feed both its inputs doesn't make any difference.
    The total current stays the same, but you split the voltage in half to feed each jack because of seeing 2 impedances there instead of 1. So the total V and I are the same.
    V(t) = I(1)/R(1) + I(2)/R(2) = V1 + V2 = I(t)/R(t)
    Where one jack's impedance by itself is R(t), or 1 each of R(1) and 1R(2).
    I think that's right! [​IMG]
    So if I were you, I would just use 1 Y connector and send 1 line to each of the mono inputs on both subs.
    ------------------

3. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

Uh, yeah what kevin said [​IMG]
    For some subs, it can make a difference if you use a Y cable at the subconnections...usually it will tell you in the manual. I'm guessing you don't have two LFE outs on your receiver, but just play with it and see what results you get. Keep in mind though, even if a Y cable will make a difference, it probably may or may not big a BIG difference. Try it both ways if you can.
    ------------------
    Crash
    "I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
    Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I got 2 subs daisy-chained. I have a Y cable out from my rec sub out, then 2 RCAs L & R into the sub, then 2 RCAs L & R out to the second sub. And actually another set goes from the 2nd sub to my bass shaker receiver. Works fine on my end.
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!