How do you clean your carpet?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I have to admit, my carpet is pretty filthy. Between the dog, and my greasy trips from the garage to the kitchen or shower it's getting on my nerves, and the house is only 1 year old.
    So what do you guys use? I have a bissel carpet cleaning machine I bought, but it does a better job at making the carpet soaking wet than it does cleaning it.
    Should I just invest in a professional cleaning van to come by, maybe do it once a year or 8 months?
    is there maybe something better I can do it with?

It's not stained or anything, just grime in the traffic areas, doesn't help that the carpet is a light tan color I guess.

2. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I vacuum weekly, spot clean with a Bissel Little Green machine (spills, gifts from pets, mud, etc) and once a year get the professional's to come out.

No consumer or rental machine can touch the power of a commercial truck machine.[​IMG]

Here is some info from the carpet and rug institute:

Deep cleaning info

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

do you have them do the whole house? the traffic areas?
    How much does it usually run you?

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Get hard wood floors[​IMG] I just did a room for my G/F and it was easy and not very expensive.

I never own carpet again(I used to install the stuff and hate it)

But seriously,Ive used the cleaners from places like Shoprite and Price chopper and they work pretty well.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Not with a dog, my dad's house has beautiful custom hardwood floors throughout, unfortunately he has 2 pups like mine and they're pretty thrashed.

I guess in the past carpet cleaning was easy, it was called "time to move to a new apartment" [​IMG]

6. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I normally just do the living room, office, and the hallways. The rest is either tile/hardwood or the bedrooms which I have yet to have cleaned, they just dont see the use the other rooms do.

7. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Get tile. May be messy, may cost a bit, but it is easy to keep clean, dogs won't scratch it, and you can put in underfoot heating for the winters up there in CO. Nice.

I don't care for carpet either. Possibly the most useless place has got to be in the bathroom or kitchen... what a waste. We have tile there, thank goodness.

If you do get tile, make sure you seal the grout (a matter of applying and leaving it there for a few hours, then cleaning up). Makes a huge difference.

Mike

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    We vacuum every other day. I also run a steam-vac about once a month. On top of that, every 6 months I call in the big truck mounted monster steam cleaner guy.

9. Stan

Stan Producer

I agree with Clint. Little Green machine for the occasional pet problem and then a full cleaning from a commercial company every year or two.

The rental machines are just not worth the hassle and the commercial companies will also do your furniture. It's worth the extra expense every couple of years.

10. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

When we moved here, the upstairs carpet was not that bad but still messy enuff that we had to do something. After a stint with the RugDoctor from most supermarts, it still looked "used". The my wife saw an article on how to clean carpets using dilutions of vinegar. Another thing that was mentioned was to do several rinses. I would be a prudent thing as u don't want ur house to smell like vinegar but ur supposed to do it the rinse at least 3 times. We did just that and it all made the difference. Now our carpet looks newer and they even kinda fluff more.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

There is no way to tile a house throughout, that just would be practical. The kitchen, entries, and baths are already tiled and that's plenty.

12. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    We ended up buying new carpet. Our's was ruined by our dog.

Buying carpet is a nightmare I never want to go through again!