How do you clean up lines in Adobe Illustrator

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernest Aguayo, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Ernest Aguayo

Ernest Aguayo Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to do something that seems like it would be really simple to do with Adobe Illustrator, but I can't seem to get it right:

I scanned in a hand-drawn line drawing and now it's a .tif file. Since it was a pencil drawing and done by hand, the lines aren't perfectly uniform and smooth.

I want Illustrator to take an educated "guess" at the lines and then retrace the lines uniformly so they are all smooth and the same thickness all around.

I have looked online for some hints using Google and Adobe's online help. It seems like the tool that I want to use is the auto trace tool, but I can't seem to get it to work correctly: the tool doesn't want to stick to the lines that I want it to trace around...

Does anyone know enough about Illustrator to point me in the right direction or can you show me a good HTF-type forum that I can post this question to?

Thanks!

2. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

For a quick fix, use the 'Levels' controls in Photoshop. If you want more control, use the Pen tool to trace over the lines. The paths created by the pen tool can be exported to ai (illustrator) format later if you wish.

I will post some tutorial links for these things when I get home from work.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

4. Ernest Aguayo

Jereme and Nick,

Thanks for the tips. I will try playing with those tools.

Jereme: Thanks for posting those tutorial links when you get a chance: I'd love to take a look...

Ernest

5. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

If you have Photoshop as well, you can bump up the contrast to get the lines as clean as possible, and then have Photoshop generate the EPS paths for Illustrator. That usually does the trick with some minor tweaking needed depending on the source image.

If you can in your line art at 1200dpi or so, you can create the paths, and then always reduce them without any issues since they'll be converted to vector paths.

6. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

7. Ernest Aguayo

Thanks, Jereme!