What's new

How do you clean a subwoofer grill? (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
The grill on my Velodyne spl1200 is filthy with dust, lint and dog hair. I have a Cocker Spaniel who sheds quite a bit. I wipe down the top and sides with a dry pledge grab-it cloth, which works great, but I have no idea how to clean the grill. What do you guys use?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
You could also use the sticky side of some packing tape to get the dog hair off the grill. On an old pair of speakers that I used to own, my cats eventually wore the grills out by rubbing against them and scratching the grills. I ended up purchasing some replacement grill cloth from Radio Shack and attached it with a hot glue gun. This gave my speakers a "new" look.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Thanks guys. I didn't even think of a vacuum or tape. I'll give them a try tonight.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Good ideas for removing the hair, lint, dust ect. Though when useing the vacume be sure to use a very soft attachement and not the raw end of the hose.
I prefer the tape method or better yet the Sticky Roller as it is less likely to leave lines or cause a snag.
Also after this, assumeing the frame of the grill is not made of wood, there is a product called ~{Tuff Stuff}~, a foaming spray cleaner that works excellent. Spray all edges and the front & back after doing the tape or sticky roller gig. After aproxmently 60 seconds useing a Soft in Power, water spray to rinse the dirt and grime out. Like the sprayer in the kitchen sink. Then tap the grill frame lightly and set it on a towel, frame up and blot with another soft towel. Let air dry or use a hair dryer on low setting to dry.
You won't belive the dirt that comes out of it. If done, say once a year (depending on the dirt and dust situation) they will stay new looking for a long time.
The foam lifting cleaner dose an excellent job of pulling the dust, dirt, & oily grime that comes with time (up and out with out scrubing or touching) the fabric. It's cheap & safe too, found usually in the car care or home cleaning depts of most major stores. Just ask for it.
Your grill will look NEW again..... :emoji_thumbsup:
Edit: This is assuming that the grill in question is Removable of course!

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Geoff, where can I find Tuff Stuff? Home Depot?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Vlad
I live in a very small town with no HD ect. But I would assume that HD would carry it...
In my town these places carry it...
Rite Aide
Family Dollar~~~where I buy it-$1.99
True Value Hardware
And a small chain store called, Leppinks Food Stores.
In all but one store it is in the Car Care Dept. The other has it in House Hold Cleaning Goods Section, carpet windows ect.
If you can't find the TUFF STUFF brand, try any of the canned FOAMING spray carpet cleaners. But do a "test spot first" to see if it pulls the dye out. All canned foaming carpet cleaners should be allright but you want to be sure.
I use the Tuff Stuff because it works for everything and is CHEAP. Cleans my window screens, in wall air conditioner filters, speaker grills, and carpet in my work truck. Little or NO agitation required, spray wait, rinse & dry.
The only other brand i've used is RESOLOVE canned foaming carpet cleaner. Worked fine but only used it (on my air conditioner filter).. It's much more expensive and really is designed to clean carpets. Where as the Tuff Stuff is an all purpose foaming cleaner and much cheaper to boot.
One question, long answer.... :D
Regards
Geoff

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend the sticky lint roller followed by a can of compressed air. After all the dog hair and stuff is off just take the grille off and use the compressed air can (like you buy to clean off computer and other electronic stuff) from the back. Then do the fabric on the grille frame from the front and it should look just dandy.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Dustin

That dose works great for normal grill upkeep. Grills that are filthy with dust, dirt, grime, smoke, pet hair ect, from long periods of time of non up-keep & cleaning, useing the foaming cleaner I mentioned would shock you on how much crap will come out. Even grills kept clean with the normal sticky rolling, vacuming, or compressed air over long periods of time will begin to collect dirt in the fibers especialy on the top edges.

You have to be carefull when useing the foam cleaner and method of use I metioned and I WOULD NOT recomend it for grills that are ~{*Loose or Worn Heavly on the Edges*}~!

A very dirty black, brown or even white grill will look extremly better & some times to the point of brand new when useing this method.

Good luck Vlad on what ever cleaning style you try. Let us know how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks