How DO you choose what to watch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stewart borland, Oct 29, 2001.

1. stewart borland

stewart borland Stunt Coordinator

I know this must sound pathetic, but not for the first time, I sat last night staring at my 100+ DVD collection and couldn't decide what to watch! [​IMG]
    After 30 minutes it was too late to start a film and I ended up not watching anything [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What 'random selector' do you use when there is no specific film that you want to see?
    ------------------
    stewart

2. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

Funny you should mention that, The same thing happened to me last night, Except I chose a movie and watched it.
    It all depends on what I feel like, I decide what type of movie I want to watch, E.G : Teen Angst and then I choose from that genre
    Last night I chose Pump Up The Volume again.
    " Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark "
    Regards,
    Ricky
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

This may be kind of a long reply, but trust me, it's the very abridged version.
    I have an excel file. When I watch a movie I move it to the bottom of the list, so my list basically has at the top the movies I haven't seen for the longest time. Each movie has a genre and a wife rating (A,B,C). If I'm watching a movie by myself, I simply find the movie nearest the top of the list that is a B or C movie.
    Each night, my wife and I usually watch a movie. I look at the top of the list and find the two top unique genres, and offer my wife a choice (ex: Comedy or Drama). The next night, I do the same thing, except I make sure we don't see the same genre as last night. So, if we saw a Comedy, and the queue has Drama, Comedy, Mystery, her choice is Drama or Mystery. I then repeat this one more night. On the fourth night I don't give her a choice, I pick the top movie with a different genre than the night before. Finally, on the fifth night, I develop a special list of only her very favorite movies, and let her pick one. Then I start the five night cycle all over again.
    Of course, then there are special days when we step outside the system and watch a particular movie (e.g., Young Frankenstein on Halloween).
    Complex? Sure, but it works for us, and I enjoy doing it, and it's a hell of a lot more complex than I've described, but I doubt if anyone cares about the details.
    Simple version: just make a list of your movies, and cycle through them.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

George,
    That's a good idea. I want to do that with my wife (the movie watching thing, you PERVS!). On my Sony DVP-CX860, I start at the top of the on-screen movie list working my way down (the movie list, you PERVS!)and I constantly ask, "How about this? How about this? How about this? How about this? How about this? you get the point. Most of the movies I ask every night and each night she says, "No." Eventually, I get to a movie she says, "yes" to.
    That takes about, oh I'd say... 20 minutes each time.
    I have to find a new system for movie watching with my wife.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Well [cough cough] trembling and sweating with fear I kneel naked in front of my demigoddess and than after gently kissing her toes, I quietly whisper if I can watch a movie, than after giving me a good whipping for having disturbed her, she than takes her time choosing a movie for me to watch, and after finding a movie that meets her approval and criteria she smashes me over the head with it, than grabs my leash and pulls me viciously to the dvd player where I insert the disc, she than sits on the sofa starts smoking and doing her nails, with her feet resting on my naked back....
    POSTED BY STEVE'S P-WHIPPED EGO.

7. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Love? oh yeah I remember that! [​IMG]

9. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

10. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    shhhhh! we don't wanna wake the evil one......

11. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I currently have a five tier movie rack (right around 200 movies now after my last thinning). I choose a row (out of 5, which almost correspond by genre) and then count to the day of the month. For spice, I start on the right. If the day of the month is over 20, I head up or down at random. Seems to produce some random results.

12. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

13. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

What I watch depends on whether I'm on the up or downside of one of my infamous moodswings. If I'm happy, I'll pop in Chicken Run or some other favorite comedy. If I'm cranky, It's Hard-Boiled or some other ultra-violent flick. If my heart has been crushed into a fine paste by yet another evil, manipulative trollop, I'll watch something depressing or apocalyptic... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
    1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

14. Paul E V

Paul E V Stunt Coordinator

I just scroll through the players and click on something I feel like watching (currently 160 discs) ----- or buy something I don't have and add that to the mix
    ------------------
    'Pioneer 'ing a new level of Home Theater
    My Equipment List / Copper & Rosewood Flexi idea

15. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Sometimes I look and get frustrated so I just close my eyes and pick one. But that technique doesn't work for me because when I grab it I go nahhh not that one. So I just stare and eventually i'll always get something.
    Last night at about 1:30am, I decided to watch Heat cause I had nothing to do the next day. Lets just say my roomates werent to happy this morning. I just can't seem to watch movies at low volume.
    ------------------
    -Nick Sievers
    Nick's DVD's
    2001 Film List

16. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

18. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Steve,
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I couldn't reply until I gained my composure. I have the running list thing going as well. I make sure it hasn't been watched in the last 6 months (with the exception of Caddyshack). I usually watch it alone because my wife and I have completely different tastes.

19. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

It was so much easier three years ago when I owned only 2 DVDs... [​IMG]
    Now, I just stare at my collection and try to find the movie that complements my mood. This usually takes 5-10 minutes. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
    MY TOP 20 OF 2001

20. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I just look at all my covers and whatever sticks out at me.
    Brent L
    ------------------
    OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
    plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
    MEETS PAGE and register.