What's new

How Do You Catalog Your BD's? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Didn't we have a similar thread just a couple of months ago?
I think this topic comes up every couple of years on here. ;)

My discs are organized by genre, and then alphabetically within each genre. I do have some unique genres, though. I own enough Alfred Hitchcock films that they are grouped together as their own genre. All formats -- UHD, BD and DVD -- are intermixed on the shelves. I collect movies, not formats.

I use DVD Profiler to keep track of my collection. The software allows me to keep track of when I and/or my wife last watched a title, which is sometimes helpful if we are trying to decide what to watch. I can also easily find titles that have yet to be watched, and keep a list of films I want to re-watch (I'll add a film to the re-watch list when it pops into my head I should watch it again).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Didn't we have a similar thread just a couple of months ago?

giphy.gif

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Physical media is alphabetical on a shelf. I catalog digitally, which allows for sorting and searching so I don’t have try and be a crazy person and do that with the physical media :)

I use trakt for quick reference or for friends to browse the library
https://trakt.tv/users/shoutingman/collection/movies/title?genres=

My wife keeps an app updated with our media’s specifics...because she’s a crazy person and needs everything tracked and detailed and organized :D
MovieBuddy Pro by Kimico, Ltd.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moviebuddy-pro/id965644953?mt=8

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
well, it's somehow by mixed standards:
by label or case (Arrow, Criterion, Twilight Time/steelbook, digibook, box-sets etc.) and then alphabetically in each category.

Some categories are more powerful than others. :D
meaning: an Arrow Steelbook will go to the Steelbook category and not the Arrow category.

My favourite category is the Ghibli COlorful Japanese Blurays!
This is not my photo, i don't have them all yet:
f351a10cc7127bbf85294b577dd8e2c1.jpg
Alphabetical, perhaps?:D

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Fascinating to see the variations of our cataloging ways.
I think mine will evolve into a duel capacity; one for the bookshelves and one for the 3-ring binder.
The Bookshelves: Uniformity of spines; Criterion, Digibooks, TT, WAC, Kino and the miscellaneous; with each grouping as alphabetical.
The 3-Ring Binder: Multi-colored tabs indexed by Directors, Cinematographers, Actors, Genres, AFI, Cannes and Oscar; with a notation beside each title, such as:

"The Gold Rush"(1925) - see Criterion
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"(1939) - see Digibooks
"A Man for All Seasons" (1966) - see Twilight Time

Heck, I'm even going to create another tab which will numerically ascend from the shortest to longest running times, for those occasions when time could be a factor. Certainly this will guide my guests who are in a negotiation over a title selection; as some may need to make it home earlier than the others.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have blu-rays and DVDs on separate shelves. Blu-rays are loosely grouped eg. TT, KL, Network, Star Trek, James Bond etc. I think that probably the best way for a very large collection is alphabetical. I have pruned mine to the hundreds and only keep those which are favourites or large format.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I sort titles alphabetically. They are stored in bookshelves next to our main viewing screen. Box sets get sorted separately (alphabetically) at the bottom of the shelves. Criterion titles are also sorted separately (also alphabetically). Other than that, all individual titles are sorted alphabetically regardless whether they are HD DVD, Blu-ray, or 4K Blu-ray.

I track my collection with the free features available at blu-ray.com. I also use that site's price tracking features, which I feel has saved me hundreds of dollars over the last 8-10 years. In addition, I track my collection with the Mac app 'Delicious Library'. So, I always have two copies of my collection listing at two different spots.

Mark

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Chronological on the shelf, with boxed sets going where the first (earliest) movie would go. I have a labeled divider for each decade. I mix the blu-rays and DVD's, don't care. I like it looking jumbly -- looks more interesting to me that way.

Movies are separated from TV shows.

I have a list on imdb that gets a check for "owned on disk." I can perform all sorts of searches based on actors, directors, etc. Use advanced search to cross-reference with my collection (and my huge collection of recorded movies)

I also use another Site Which Shall Not Be Named as a database for all disks.

RichKF

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I suspect our movie catalog system keeps changing.
Originally, mine was grouped under Best Cinematography, Criterion titles and then there were the rest.
Later, it turned into bodies of work. Lean, Kubrick, Chaplin, et al.
But as the collection grew, it was back to Best Cinematography; adding the AFI Top 100's, and key restorations.
Yet, I had to deal with those miscellaneous titles; leading to nothing thematic and altogether a listless clump.
Well, I found that as the collection grew that many of the titles overlapped and could not be confined to just one category.
Alphabetical, perhaps? Maybe chronologically by release year.
Well, not on the shelves;
as that approach was visually just too boring, except within my 3-ring binder of about a dozen print-out sheets.
Ah, I know, I'll group everything into spine uniformity; TT, Criterion, WAC, Kino, Digibooks, etc.
Somehow, I know when a snowstorm sets in and keeps me cooped up at home for a couple of days that this may change, again.

So, how do you catalog your BD's and other physical media?
I started with Sony 400 disk players but have gone over to loose leaf binders and 8 disk sheets for storage. To keep track of everything, i have been using "Readerware" software. It automatically downloads film data and allows insertion of LOCATION and other information you would like to include. It has a powerful search capability using various criteria. I have nearly 2000 dvds and Bds which would be impossible to manage without this aid. Have been using it for a few years and I love it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I used to store my DVD's by studio-WB, Paramount, Fox, MGM etc.
In my Fellowes multimedia storage racks it was something to see, as all the spines of the movies were very uniform(MGM had the best spines, followed by Paramount I believe). It was pretty, and I wish I had taken a picture of my collection then, it was in the thousands.
It also made me fully aware of what movies belonged to what studio. I become very knowledgeable through categorization. If someone asked which studio made a certain film I'd usually know the answer instantly. Try that nowadays with all the studio films in the hands of boutique labels. Won't work.

I know I don't have that luxury with BD. Space saving cases, but with the loss of attractive display. All my physical media is still in boxes, and has been for over a year. I'm at a loss of what storage racks I want to buy/use(if any) for the display of my movies.....because I know it will take up at least an entire room of my house. what to do?

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
In general I store my BDs (DVDs separately) in alphabetical order.
But there are exceptions to that:
My favorite genre "Western" is on an extra shelf (combined with DVDs), also musicals and music related films (like Saturday Night Live) and animated movies (BDs & DVDs separately for both genres).
Sames goes for TV-series and music titles like concerts and such.
I have some but not many special editions in bigger cases. These also are separately, mostly on top of the shelfs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nice to see this thread revived.

I catalog titles by the studio and then alphabetically for each studio. This more or less makes the collection look more uniform.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Interesting, Dave. So you're segregating your UHD discs from your Blu-rays.

I've been wondering how people were handling that situation. I had considered updating THIS OLD THREAD of mine.

I am about to do a major re-organization of my collection (whenever I get the time) and am thinking I'll combine my Blu & UHD movie discs (but continue to segregate the DVDs in a separate set of shelves. I have no problem at all--for some reason--mixing Blu & DVD in my lesser sub-sections of my collection (like TV, Christmas, Baseball, Disney, documentaries, etc.).

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I actually have the DVD's and HD-DVD segregated from the rest as well. I did and have thought about blending the 4K titles into the blu-rays but they look nice by themselves and they are easier to pick out when they are not blended. I may change it and blend them in the future. Little by little I want to replace the HD-DVD's and phase the player out of my h/t setup. I will soon be joining the Atmos/X owners and am also getting Auro 3D capability as well. Ya re-organizing your collection takes some time and effort, let me know what you end up doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks