What's new

How do YOU calibrate rears in a 7.1 configuration? (1 Viewer)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
In a 7.1 speaker setup how do you go about calibrating the two rear channels seperately?

I recently bought the Harmon Kardon AVR8000 I know it's best to calibrate your speakers with source test tones such as Avia or VE. I have Avia, VE and Sound & Vision Home Theater TuneUp disks. I think Sound and Vision sends the rear channel test tone to both rears at the same time. I'm not sure because although I have the 7.1 receiver, external 2ch amp and the speakers my in-wall wire to the two rear speakers hasn't been run yet.

Also, using EZset on the AVR8000 requires setting the volumn at -15. But if I use the internal test signals to manualy set speakers without using EZset to calibrate and then recheck using VE and my SPL meter I must turn the volumn up to 0 for the level to read 75db.

Does this mean that 0 is the actual reference level of the AVR8000 for use with external test material?

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Interested as well..

I do recall reading some where that AVIA uses an 85db reference and VE uses a 75db reference. Not sure

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Yes. When setting the level of your speakers and sub using AVIA, a setting on the volume knob that yields 85 dB for each of the channels is the so called reference level (the level to use for Video Essentials is 75 db). As discribed in the following link.
Link Removed
I'm just curious if others use dvd tet signals to calibrate their speaker what signal do they use to calibrate 2 rear speakers individually. :)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I use the MCACC from my Pioneer VSX-49TX - sets the rear channels separately. Pretty good. It does the delay at the same time..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks