1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you buy equiptment...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertSchaez, May 25, 2002.

1. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

When buying a receiver, how much of the decision is based purely on the sound? 100%? 80%? 75%? How much on ease of use? For instance, I'v got to admit, I never bothered to listen to Denon because I hated using it in the shop. Not to pick on them, but I couldn't read the tiny display from my seating distance, slow response time from buttons, no visual way to "follow" source selection to find source I was looking for, no A/B speaker switch, etc. I also heard reliablilty was inconsistent. I ended up getting a Yamaha, which, ergonomically, seemed easier for my tiny brain to use. I've tried comparing it to my old Onkyo integrated amp on music (using headphones), and to me, the Onkyo sounds a little better, the Yamaha a little flat and dry. I guess I wish I had listened a little more to the other receivers. It was just a little tough since doing a true A/B comparison is difficult even when a shop uses a switcher to compare two sources on the same speakers. While I sure as heck want the thing to sound good, is there that much difference between receiver brands (not between receivers and separates) at a given price point to justify settling for poor ergonomics? I still think that the day to day ease of use definately counts in the decision (remotes notwithstanding since you can replace those) . What do you guys and gals think? [​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That determination is up to YOU. I do base my decision mostly on sound (80-90% I'd say). Equipment is a very personal choice.

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

That is a hard question. I usually narrow it down to a couple items after doing some serious research and if I can't tell a difference between the few I like, I usually base my decision on discrete codes or something shallow like appearance. For the most part I let the quality dictate what I buy and if that still is not enough I will move to cosmetics and ease. When buying for my parents I would say I am about 50/50 since even switching inputs is considered a challenge in that household. [​IMG]