How do you bridge channels on a Classe CAV-150 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ManojM, Mar 26, 2002.

1. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Feb 13, 2002
    I just bought a Classe CAV-150, but I do not have the manual. The website doesn't have any info either. I am trying to bridge channels 5 and 6 for my center channel as I only have a 5 channel setup. I see that there is a switch that you can flip up and to where it says 5+6. I assume that it bridges the two channels in that position. There is a line underneath also labeled 5+6 that goes to the two red binding posts of channels 5 and 6. The labels with that line show a + and -. Am I to assume that I should follow that label and put the speaker cables on those two red posts? Can I damage the speaker if I hook both cables up to the two red posts, and if I don't have the bridging toggle switch in the right position?
  2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999

What you have described is standard for a bridged amp: A switch to drive the inputs out of phase, and speaker connections across each amp’s positive terminals. The switch in the “5+6” position would be bridged mode.

Actually you have a greater risk of damaging the amp than you do the speakers. Bridged amps are more unstable than unbridged, and they are very particular about to the load they see. Since you don’t have a manual, it would be very risky to connect a 4-ohm speaker to the amp. If your speaker is not 8-ohms it would be best to pass on this exercise.

That said, where is the logic in giving more power to the center channel than the rest of the system? It won’t hurt a thing for the 6th channel to sit idle. Indeed since bridged amps are not as stable, it is very likely you will find the center speaker doesn’t sound as good as it does with a regular channel.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt