1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Blow A Speaker

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen Marshall, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

i like watching movies like the matrix and saving private ryan very loud, but not until recently im scared i might blow them, but i have no idea how loud i can put them before i blow them...or how i can tell if there already blown.

Is there a way of knowing how loud i can put my particular speaker before it's likely to blow?

and

Can someone help me know how to tell if a speaker is blown or not?

i have Athena Audition AS-F2, AS-B2, AS-C1 setup with a Yamaha HTR-5640 reciever

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Allen,

Your speakers are fairly efficient(93db) but the receiver is only 6x75w which is not good for these speakers that can handle 250w. Your more than likely either going to drive the receiver into protection mode(shut down) or clipping(kills tweeters dead). I would seriously look at adding an external amp just for the added headroom or just turn the volume down. You'll know when the tweeter goes.

Kevin

3. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

Did something happen recently to make you think of blowing them? If they were blown they would not sound the same as before, they could sound scratchy, no mids, no highs, no sound at all. More often then not it is a result of bad or dirty power from the amp. you can blow one from over powering and driving to hard (loud) that is why you should only buy things that match (same ohms, watts) try to stay under the max watts to leave yourself a buffer zone to help avoid overdriving the speakers.

Dave

4. Allen Marshall

well my speaker's always have a buzzing to them so its hard to tell dave. i dont understand why does it say 105x6 on the front of my reciever if its only 75? i plan on getting a new one in a month or 2 anyway, like a $600-$1,000 one.

Dave how am i supposed to know how many watts is going to the speaker so i know if im overdriving it or not? i cant judge by listening to the speaker if it's having a heart attack cause i have my bass on my reciever at +10, which is max, and i dont have a subwoofer right now so i dont have the guts to turn it up much higher then it is, sub sounds make me nervous, atleast they do when there commin out of a loudspeaker that does other things then just handle bass, like that part in the matrix reloaded where he goes down in slow motion and shoots up into the sky, listening to my speaker do that makes me nervous although it does it just fine.

what i have noticed is, if i want to listen to music, eventually there's a point, where it's loud, but if i want it louder, i have to turn the bass down on my speaker, i can go up to -25db with it on Bass: +10, if i want to go higher, i have to bring it down to +8, and if i want it on like -20db or lower, i have to put it to +6 because from what i can gather the woofers are shakin so much the mid noises come out like crap.....atleast i think im right, and the bad part is they dont even shake that much, im not driving them to an oblivian/asking to much of them, could it be the reciever crappin up whats commin out of my speakers?

5. Shane S.

Shane S. Stunt Coordinator

If your speakers are blown you should be able to tell. You should hear the distortion (kind of a farting buzzing sound) and you could visibly inspect them. If you always here a buzzing than I would say you have some interferance somewhere.
    To stay under max watts don't turn your system all the way up especially if your increasing settings like treble and base.

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Allen,

How big is your room? How far are you sitting away from the speakers? Have you calibrated your speakers with a sound level meter? Do you have your speakers set to Large or Small? Also turn your bass and treble to zero. Listen to the movies or music the way it was recorded. If you want more bass by a sub. As far as getting a new receiver I would put the money into an amp. Your receiver has all the features you need and new one won't do much for the power side.

Kevin

7. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

I would check that the speakers aren't out of phase which is easy to do. If you are planning to buy a reciever check 6th ave. I just bought and recieved the Denon 3803 for $648.06, if you order the 3802 you will recieve the 3803 because they don't have anymore 3802's. I wouldn't be afraid to use the speakers for bass as long as you don't try to get results like having a sub. I would set the speakers to large until you do get one. I'm not sure about your reciever but the rateing could be for a lower ohm speaker which will should have a higher watt rateing, some recievers advertise the lower rateing to show a higher power output. The Panasonic SA-HE advertises having 130x6 but at 6ohms (the 3803 replaced that one) the output is misleading unless you look for it (which I did not do) so the 8ohm rateing is less then that but they don't say how much, each reciever is diff. and the rating can varie. I'm not sure how to check it yourself short of calling the manuf. and asking them.

Dave

8. Allen Marshall

well the room is like 35x20 but the section i've got my speaker is in is like 15x15, no i havent calibrated them, all my speakers are set to large even the small AS-B2's in the rear,

9. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

Is this something that has been there since you first bought them? If so I would check the speaker wires are not touching each other at the ends and that they are not internally broke causing a short from the pos and neg sides touching each other. A hard kink or flat spot in the wire can cause a short, you can check the continuity with a volt meter and make sure there isn't a reading jumping between them. If this is something that has just happened and the wire and connections are fine fine I would think that would point towards the reciever and would get it checked.

Dave