What's new

How do you beat Diablo II? (1 Viewer)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I have made it all of the way to the end of this game. I have tried to kill diablo only to die a horrible death. I am playing the Necromancer. Does anybody know if there is a secret to beating him? Any help would be appreciated.

Adam_Garris

Supporting Actor
No "special way" that I know of. I suggest going back to level up. You gain stats and there's always the chance you can find something helpful.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Probably should be in the software forum...

At any rate, I've beaten him as a necromancer. I assume you're on the normal difficulty - I found that he was a little too powerful on nightmare w/ a necromancer (did beat him, but it was very difficuly.

A lot of full rejuventations, summoning (blood golem probably at that point right?), and a corpse explosion or two (I think you can lead him to near one of the seals where there were a couple bodies, but not sure.)

so I would summon, bone spear, run, rejuv. I found later that bone spear sucks but it did the trick the first time through. Also had a good merc to help me (translation - took a bit of heat off me until it died.)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Yeah, you can't beat a good merc to take the blows meant for you. I played through as a Druid (got the game for the first time with the expansion pack), and I had both a merc and a grizzly bear that I kept summoning to keep the big D distracted. If I remember correctly, he's got a few different attacks that he uses. Most of them can be avoided if you pay attention to the animation that he's going through. So if you can learn which attack is coming for which animation, you can anticipate what he's going to do and take appropriate counter-measures. That's how I finally beat the sucker.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Good items help too - if you don't think you have good enough armor - then go 'scum' until you get some. maybe you can post your item list...

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Thanks for the replies guys. I will try to post the item list, but I do not have very good armor. I'm trying to get up to a level 70 in strength to get some good armor. Right now I'm a level 27 with 64 in strength.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
you'll need to run through the first part of hell a couple of times to try to get a good drop.. go through the level almost up to diablo, save, reload, clear it, repeat. Though at 27, you should be high enough to beat him. Experience goes way up in act 5, so you should just get through the level a little quicker. 1-2 more levels on your summoning will help though.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
While on the subject of Diablo II. How the hell do you guys survive when playing a non-fighting character class? I've tried but it's so hard since the magic user types aren't good at combat.

Jeff

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Oh, I've beaten D2 with both an Assassin & a Necromancer. Necro's pretty good - summoning golem's really rock and the use of curses are pretty good. The Assassin actually got to be impossible on Nightmare if I ran into some unique aura enchanted monster - they could really kick my b*tt. Some of them, I'd hit twice, and then _I_ would die (I took damage from hitting them!)

Having a good merc - especially using a barb merc from act V on nightmare would help a lot though. Also, speed would help alot (my assassin was crazy fast - my friend who I co-opted with couldn't believe how fast she was - I'd always get to any fallen treasure first..)

There are a couple good sites on the net that have lots of info on strategies. I've found that the farther you go, you really can only use 2-3 viable strategies per character class to really survive. They are pretty tried and true and in the end, you can't successfully deviate from them too much.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Jeff, I've got a friend who always goes for those robe-wearing spell-types, and I would laugh at how long it took him to get past some of the early monsters (the Butcher in Diablo 1, for one). My fighters would always zip right by the early challenges, where he would cast and die, cast and die, cast and die...but when he finally built his characters up, that freaking guy was Death Incarnate. Playing my Druid with his Sorceress was crazy--his area effect spells would wipe out entire herds of monsters before I could even get near them! It was an awesome sight. Magic-users are tough to start with and tough to level up, but boy when they get going...

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I agree that spell caster are much harder to start, but get really powerful. Barb, however, with whirlwind and such, are tough all the way through IMHO. I find that the melee types were easier to play, while the spell casters were more challenging but just devastating if you knew how to play them.

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
I just beat him a couple of nights ago as a lvl 26 Necro. Use golems as much as possible, iron if you can. They last a bit longer. I died several times trying, but eventually by moving around as much as you can and throwing high level (5) Bone Spears, I was able to beat him.

After you beat him, make sure you go play the secret "Cow" level! All that "Moo"ing really cracked me up...

Chad

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
with a necro, the cow level's pretty easy on regular difficulty. Kill one, then corpse explosion will take care of just about all of them.

It's about impossible to do later for a necro - those cows have a ton of hitpoints!

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I'm thinking about playing Diablo 2 again since I just picked up the expansion disc. Of the magic user classes with is the best? Then it comes down to which magic specialization to use, fire, ice, lightning, poison, etc...
Any pointers??

thanks,
Jeff

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Jeff, I found the Druid to be a nice mix of combat and magic. He has the ability to summon wolves and (later) a grizzly bear, as well as vines which give you life and magic, and spirits which raise your attributes. Plus he is a mean melee fighter when he transforms into a werewolf. Wait, that's kind of an understatement...he is extremely, extremely nasty as a melee fighter, especially with Fury. But for a true magic-user (who doesn't like wet work), I think the sorceress is the hardest to build, and the most lethal at high levels (based on my aforementioned friend's character).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks