What's new

How do you arrange your dvd titles? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I must be some kind of freak because no one here utilizes the sorting logic that I do!
I've got 3 drawers...the left one houses my "elite" DVDs (mixed genres). By this, I mean movies that I really like that also contain exemplary audio or video (or both) for when people come over and I want to demo a scene for 'em. The middle drawer contains the DVDs that I watch the most (mixed genres). The drawer on the right contains the remaining DVDs that I watch only on occasion. At the way back of the right hand drawer, you'll find the DVDs that I rarely ever watch (like "Three Kings" :thumbsdown: ).

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Watched discs by genre as best as possible. Unwatched, or not completelty watched in an unorganized heap.

Peter

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
1. Disney animation chronologically

2. Criterion by spine number

3. Most other classics by series, actor, director, chronology or whatever feels right

4. The rest of them (not many so far)

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Alphabetical by decade when movie was made/original release. All 1930-39 A-Z, 1940-49 A-Z, 1950-59 A-Z and on. Box sets on a separate shelf or integrated in filing system (depending on size), OR nicely displayed in front of or around filed movies.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Sometimes by Director (David Lynch, Coen Bros etc), sometimes by Genre but now just RANDOM! :)
~ John

Bryan S

Agent
I haven't read this whole thread but does anyone else arrange their DVD's by studio? I think it looks better when cases with similar spine designs are grouped together.

Alphabetically and i just broke the Two hundred mark. It only took three years, looking forward to the next three years. Who know's,the Indiana Jones DVD's may be out by then.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Who know's, the Indiana Jones DVD's may be out by then.
Knock wood! :)
Actually, it might be easier to get Harrison Ford in person to come over to all our homes and act out the film on the spot than it will be to ever see these great films on our boob-tubes!! :D ;)
(Hey....not a bad idea! What do you think Harrison would charge for such a personal engagement? :))

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Alphabetically. Numbers spelled out (if I had any with starting number titles). Original language titles prefered (to the front, "Abre Los Ojos!").
I considered doing it based on some other theme, but I'm just too anal and would never find a satisfactory way to do it otherwise. Heck, just ask my brother and sister how often I've snapped at them to find "Jurassic Park III" next to "The Matrix" over in the S's. :D

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Computers make this sort of thing a non-issue for me. I can organize my DVD collection any number of ways in less than 5 seconds using my custom DVD Database. The physical DVDs are stored alphabetically.

The nice thing about a custom computer-based solution is flexibility. If I decide that I want to be able to sort my DVDs by running time, for example, I can easily do it. The sky's the limit. Also, since everything is available over Internet, my friends and family can browse the collection at their leisure before they come over.

If you are into computers at all, it is not that hard to roll your own solution. I used Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP but that's just one of many ways to go about doing it. It really was a fun project.

Gavin_L

Second Unit
pretty much i i don't keep it any order, but usually i add new dvds to the same Shelve so u will find the new one's together, and then the older dvds together. one of these days i'll put them in order, most likely by the alphabet

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Up until today, I'd always organized Alphabetically.
But thanks to my local Circuit City's newly remodeled DVD section, I'm in the process of a complete reorganization according to Genre! You know those colored DVD spacer cards they use? Well, for over a year, I've been requesting [begging for] a set for my collection. Of course the answer had always been "no".
Well, this morning the salesman presented me with a handfull of their [now retired] colored cards. They've switched to new cards [all same color]. So, I now have professional-looking cards for:
* Action/Thriller
* Horror
* Comedy
* Drama
* Family/Kids
* Music
* Special Interest
Unfortunately... no "Chick Flick" card. ;)
Anyway, I now know that patience [i.e. nagging] pays off!
:D :D :D

James L White

Supporting Actor
congrats Jenna, but what about titles that fit into more than one Genre? do you buy extras to put under each genre? ;)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I have a question for those of you who use ALPHABETICAL order: what do you do in the case of foreign films? Myself, I alphebatize without the article regardless of what language it is in. It always bothers me to see L'AVVENTURA next to LA STRADA under the letter "L" in the video shop.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Rob, I organize alphabetically as well. In the case of foreign films, I too ignore the article. I have "Das Boot" filed under "B."

I also always arrange them according to their original title, regardless of whether it was changed or translated for American release. "Life Is Beautiful" goes under "V," "Princess Mononoke" goes under "M."

I don't care what it says on the box, I'm only concerned about the proper, original name of the film it contains.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Purely alphabetical, except for "special Programming", such as concerts and documentaries.

Some of you guys must have a lot of time on your hands! All those categories and exceptions! And, genres... some of that is subjective, and some pictures occupy more than one genre.

At 550+ titles, anything other than strict alpha would confuse the crap out of anyone but me... which would lead to misplacement by anyone else... which would confuse me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks