How do you arrange to rent a 35mm print of a movie?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Elijah Sullivan, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

Sorry if this is the wrong place - I couldn't decide which forum this belonged in.

My question is: I have an opportunity to play some films at a local small-town theater. Of course I hit the roof, but maybe too soon. I have no idea what it takes to rent a print of certain movies, and what it involves, but this is a professional, quality theater with responsible personnel who would respect the print and treat it very kindly. That said, I would love to be able to arrange to show some great films - Blade Runner came to mind immediately, but also easier-to-find stuff like Alien, The Professional, Once Upon a Time in the West, etc.

I'm sure availibility ranges from title to title, but I was very curious. Does anyone know what it takes to arrange something like this? I couldn't find information on the web about this (looking in the wrong places?), short of calling up studios and asking.

Any info would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks, and cheers

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Elijah -

You need to talk to the theatre's film booker first (if they run films now, they should have a person or service already doing this for them). Give him a list of desired titles and studios (if you know them) and he should be able to contact the respective studio repertory departments and find out about print availability and terms. Note: if the theatre has only a platter system and not a reel-to-reel changeover system, you won't be able to get some of the rarer prints.

I do this for a living, feel free to contact me via e-mail or PM. Go here to see what my upcoming shows look like: Big Screen Classics

Pete Apruzzese

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hah! What a kickass movie, on my bday no less. [​IMG] Nice list of titles as well. I wish you managed a classic theater around these parts Peter. ;>

4. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

Many, many thanks, Peter. Will do as you suggested. Great site, btw, and an awesome schedule. I hope ours looks that appealing [​IMG] Cheers.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have a 35mm print of the 1976 classic Tunnelvision. Don't know whose permission I'd have to get to show it in public though- I ran it after hours at a theater I worked at once.