How do we plug the TV directly to the DENON 3802?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio_D, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Antonio_D

Antonio_D Agent

hi all,how are you?
    hi would like to know how to plug this 65 inch HDTV to my receiver.I understand how to send video signals(i use the component holes for the TV and the receiver) but the problem is how to send audio signals from the TV to the receiver(do i have to go through my VCR or directly onto receiver?).
    In which holes should i put the cables in ,to hear audio signals from the television.
    By the way here's the picture of the receiver:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...802&display=XL
    And here's the picture of the back of the television(goto to the middle of the page):
    http://www.toshiba.ca/web/link?id=219
    Thanks a lot in advance!

2. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Hello Antonio,

First, you need two cables. An audio cable with a pair of RCA plugs (one red, one white) at each end and a video cable with a single yellow RCA plug at each end. However, as explained below, you may not need the yellow-plug video cable.

Alternately, you can buy what's usually called an "A/V" cable and has three RCA plugs at each end (red, white, and yellow). If you want name brand cables, get Magnavox at a chain store, which should cost less than $6.00 each. Otherwise just go to your hardware store where they sell the same cable for $3.00.

Go to the section at the far right of the Toshiba's set of jacks ("holes" as you call them), labeled "Out." Connect the yellow cable plug to the yellow "video" jack. Using the jacks right under the video jack, labeled "L-mono-Audio-R," connect your white plug to the white jack and the red plug to the red jack.

On the back of the receiver, find the set of jacks lableled "TV/DBS" in the vertical row of jacks towards the left side of the receiver. Then just take the other end of your cable or cables and plug white into white, red into red, and yellow into yellow.

By the way, you do not have to connect the yellow video cable to hear the audio. In fact, unless you are doing your video switching in the receiver (sending all your video feeds into the receiver and then sending the video from the receiver's video output to the TV's video input), you can skip the yellow connection.

On your receiver, you may have to make a menu change to get audio to feed out of the L/R audio output jacks. For example, on my Sony I have to go into the menu and choose Speaker and Off to activate the audio output jacks. This turns off the TV's speakers since, presumably, nobody would want both the TV speakers and their home-theater speakers running at the same time. You will have to check your Toshiba owners manual to find out the exact procedure.

As for the Denon, once you have your TV audio out feeding into the receiver's TV/DBS input, just press the TV/DBS switch on your Denono remote and, as long as you have the TV set properly, you should soon have your home filled with heavenly strains of television audio.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Iver

3. Antonio_D

Antonio_D Agent

thanks a bunch man,your reply was very helpful!

4. Antonio_D

Antonio_D Agent

by the way i have another question,so for audio part i know that it has to go from the "out" labeled on the TV and then go to the "in" labeled of the receiver in the TV/DBS.But for the video part i'm gonna use component cables.But i don't know which component section to use on the receiver(TV/DBS or Monitor)?
    The problem is if i use TV/DBS, it will be in the "in" section of the components and in the back of the TV there's no "COMPONENT OUT" it's all in.

Thanks in advance!

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is basically no reason to have a component OUT from your TV, since it is the display device. There is also no reason to have the TV OUTPUT signal to the receiver. If at all possible, connect all your video sources directly to the TV, and audio sources to the receiver. If you have enough video inputs for all your devices and don't need to use the receiver as a switch, then there is NO REASON to loop video through it first.

This really belongs in the HT basics forum, as this question has been answered/discussed there very recently, more than once.