How do the Genesis Remasters Sound?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jeff_CusBlues, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

With the release of SACD versions of the Genesis catalog becoming questionable, I was wondering how the current "remastered" versions on CD sound? In particular, I was thinking about picking up Selling England By the Pound, A Trick of the Tale, When the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Wind and Wuethering, and possibly the live albums Live and Seconds Out. I grew up listening to these albums but never picked them up on CD. If you own the remastered version of any of these albums, let me know how it sounds. I have been waiting for SACD versions, but that could be far in the future if ever. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

When I bought the remasters years ago (Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Live, Selling England, Lamb), I thought they sounded better than the previous CDs - more detail, more open soundstage. I still enjoy them. Lamb sounds worse than the rest, but that might be the way the album was originally mixed. I think they wanted it to sound more raw and unpolished.

Anyway, some people over at the Steve Hoffman forum don't like the remasters, or like the British releases better than the USA releases, etc. You might do a search over there to get more opinions.

Don't hold your breath for the SACDs! I hope I'm wrong about that.

Doug

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I have several remasters and I like them very much. I think Selling England by the Pound, in particular, shines and I use Firth of Fifth as my initial track to do speaker shopping. I've read some of the complaints but I haven't been able to notice (though I haven't a/b'ed a non remaster with a remaster).

4. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I own all of them. They all sound pretty good to me (Lamb is a little rough, but, as stated above, probably intentional).

I just wish they would re-do Genesis and Invisible Touch.

5. Jeff_CusBlues

Thanks for the replies. I have read some info (and there is a lot) at the Steve Hoffman forum and they seem to have mixed feelings. Thanks a lot for steering me there. I really enjoy reading their posts.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'd also like to see a remaster of Genesis.

I have all of them, and they sound fine to me.

I'll say this here, because I'd get roasted over on Steve Hoffman's site. Sometimes I think people over there say a specific version of a CD sounds better not even because they've listened to both versions. I know that a few people trashed the latest version of the Final Cut by Pink Floyd, but as far as I could tell, it was identical to the previous version, just that it had an extra track on it. But once one person says some is "different" or "worse", ...

They certainly did better booklets for all the remasters.

And 3 Sides Live actually has the 4th side live too, with some very excellent older tracks.

7. andrew markworthy

The remasters sound different, not necessarily better.

The first remasters sound very hard-edged. This came as a shock to folks used the vinyl sound of Genesis, but was probably a better reflection of how they sounded live. The remasters gave more detail, but also lost the hard-edged sound and brought them more into line with the vinyl sound. Compare the vinyl and two CD versions of 'Wind and Wuthering' and you'll see what I mean.

As for which is the best remastered version, the Japanese 'mini LP' limited editions win hands down. Unfortunately, unless you were lucky enough to get them when they first came out and were pretty cheap ([​IMG] ) then you are doomed to pay serious money on ebay or similar.

Where did you get this news Jeff? Nursery Cryme, Lamb and Foxtrot have now been remastered into 5.1 and the engineer will be doing more in the near future. The band members have still to approve these but by all accounts this is unlikely to be a serious hold-up.

8. Jeff_CusBlues

My comment is an opinion based on what I have heard in this forum and the Steve Hoffman forums. The release date for Lamb was pushed out, and while we have had lots of news concerning work on remixes, we haven't had one 5.1 mix released yet. Maybe I'm just impatient.

9. andrew markworthy

Aren't we all? However, I don't think there's much reason to doubt that the 5.1 releases will come. Work is definitely ongoing and although band members might demand tweaks to the mixes, they're all wedded to the principle of the mixes being released. I just hope we don't have to wait ages post-approval of the mixes because one of the band members wants to hold up their release lest it interferes with sales of their latest solo effort.

10. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul

This is already part of the problem, sort of. N. American releases of the Genesis video collection and Platinum CD collection were delayed because it was thought they might be "overload" alongside Phil Collins' DVD and CD anthology releases (as Phil and Genesis are seen as the same thing in much of N. America). It was not because Phil Collins asked for such "consideration" but rather the record company wanted to avoid a "glut".

11. Jeff_CusBlues

Ok. I just bought the Definitive Remaster of Live, Wind and Wuthering, Seconds out and And Then There Were Three. I'll probably buy a few more in the next few weeks. I think they sound great. Thanks a lot for the inputs, guys.

12. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Those are some fine albums. Enjoy.[​IMG]