how do the DLC titanics perform in REALLY small enclosures?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I have a shiva I built for home use, but with a new car on the way I'd like to build a fiberglass enclosure for my car, something to fit above the spare tire (actually more like IN the spare tire) and below the trunk floor.
    I wanted to go with a shiva, but I feel the size (about .55 ft^3) will be way too small, how would a DLC 12" perform? I can push it with plenty of clean power, but I'm concerned about the volume

edit: oops, I mean DLS of course. dumb keyboards [​IMG]

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I don't have experience with the Titanics. But I did put a 12in Dayton DVC in 1 cu ft stuffed in my brother-in-law's Mustang. Seemed to do very well. The 12in Titanic Mk2 models fairly similar to the DVC so I think they would like similar enclosures. And I wouldn't want to go below about 0.8 cu ft even in a car.

You might consider the Dayton DSQ which is basically a car audio version of the 12in Titanic Mk2, designed for somewhat smaller enclosures. I'd still prefer 0.75 cu ft or larger for this driver, but if you must use a 12in woofer this is a better choice.

Have you considered the 10 inch Titanic Mk2? It would work great in a 0.55 cu ft box. You'll lose about 3dB output vs. the 12 inch woofers you're considering, but if you're not an SPL junkie it should more than please you.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

no, no spl junkie here.
    I'm just concerned, I'm going from a pair of infinity 10's (oddly enough the cheapest, and best sounding woofers I've owned) to a single 10, makes me nervous that I won't have enough bass. I'll give it over 300 watts though, my SS amp can push 1/4 ohm IIRC
    I'll look into the 10 titanic, allthough in that price range it'll be tough to not buy the image dynamics IDQ's
    also the dayton 10 is single voice coil it appears [​IMG]

Maybe I'll build the box, and use one of my infinity reference 10's, not a great woofer, but in a pair in a ported enclosure they've been impressive... if I'm not happy then I'll look to buy another I guess.

I'm also tempted to build my own component speakers, a pair of 6.5 woofers and a 1" tweeter is pretty cheap, add on a pair of DIY crossovers.. sounds tempting

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

The Titanic 10 does have an excursion advantage over the infinity. But you'd have to drive it with about 500 watts in a 0.55 cu ft sealed box to actually use that excursion advantage. And its only rated for 300 watts. So it won't really give you more output in this particular application than the infinity.

But the infinity seems to want a much larger box. In 0.55 cu ft stuffed the infinity is at Q=1.05 while the Titanic is at Q=0.75. I'd prefer to keep Q

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

since it's a glass enclosure nd I'm using the spare tire I'm SUPER limited, I'll cut the baffle for a standard 10" and change later if I need to.
    I'm concerned about the infinity too, I think for a reference series they call for something along the lines of .85 ft^3

I'm a big fan of image dynamics, here are the specs on the IDQ V2 10
    the extra xmax is nice, but comes at the cost of less cone area (MUCH less) also the ID is a little less costly. Also the titanic appears to come only in single coil, 4 ohm
    I'd much rather have a dual 4 ohm to run in parallel. i also have concerns about the mounting depth, but will have to address those once the glass is laid up.

SPEAKER SPECIFICATIONS

Nominal Impedance 2/8Ohms Imp.
    DC Resistance 1.9/7.8 Ohms Re
    Resonant Frequency 26Hz Fs
    Electrical "Q" 0.374 Qes
    Mechanical "Q" 5.42 Qms
    Total "Q" 0.35 Qts
    Equivalent Volume 2.05cuft (58L) Vas
    One Way Linear 13.2mm Xmax
    Cone Area 350cm2 Sd
    Sensitivity 89.9dB SPL
    RMS Power Handling 250Watts Pwr

I bought the fiberglass I need and the resin, cost? $20 hehe. I have all the wood I need, just a little liquid nails and some screws and I'll have everything I need, except warm weather.
    I'll give the infinity a shot, those subs have been with me 2 years, I think I paid 70 for the pair and have been happier with them than some of the much much more expensive subs I've had.