How do studios calculate the # of hours of extras on their dvds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Woo, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Henry Woo

Henry Woo Agent

I am just wondering if anyone else is bothered when the studio boasts in their ads or on the dvd itself that the dvd boasts so many hours of extras. Then when you go through the extras, you wonder how they came up with the number of hours that they promote, when you go through the extras in a much shorter period of time.

A couple of recent disappointing examples are 'Shrek' and 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'. It seems to happen more frequently with the more family oriented dvds where they load up on the interactive and game features, that they exaggerate the amount of content that they contain.

At least with audio commentaries and documentaries/featurettes, you can add up the length of those fairly concretely.

2. Michael St. Clair

They have a guy named 'Slow Steve', who is not the sharpest knife in the Hollywood drawer, go through all the supplements. They time him, and that's where they get their numbers.

3. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

Funny you mention Shrek. I always imagined some marketting guy doing the math and going "A Tic-Tac-Toe game with bugs?! Genius! Kids will play at for at least 45 minutes before getting bored with it! Someone write that down!"

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I think they look at the last outrageous claim and add 150 hours or so to that figure. [​IMG]

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    They use a system similar to that developed to create those incredibly accurate EPA gas mileage estimates. [​IMG] Maybe the adds should say,
    (Announcer, Shouting):"Shrek, with over 30 hours of extra material - (Announcer's voice drops to whisper and he starts talking very quickly) - your time may vary. Time estimates based on average for normal family of four with typical motor and cognative skills. Void where prohibited by law. This disc has not been evaluated by the FDA. Close cover before striking. No purchase necessary. Odds of winning based on total number of entries received. License number available on request. Offer not good in Alaska, Hawaii or certain counties in Georgia.
    [​IMG]
    Actually, I just think they add up to total time it would take to actually watch (as opposed to "go through") all of the extras on a disc - meaning that you've listened to every insipid music vidoe and have never fast-forwarded past any part of any of the six docuentaries (not even the two minute scene that is included in every one of them) or any of the commentary tracks (not even the boring one with the composer who says something like, "I love the kettle drum" every twenty minutes or so.) How many movies have you actually done this on? I sure don't have a long list when it comes to these mega discs.
    Regards,
    Joe