What's new

How do people post pictures? (1 Viewer)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
If I want to post something of mine, how do I do it? I assume you need a server to host it? Is there one that's free. Can someone give me a brief rundown of what I need to do?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you can upload to several websites that will host your pic for free. a popular one is http://www.imageshack.us/

once you do that ... do this.

1. get the full url of where the file is being hosted
2. post/reply to a thread. there's a button called "IMG". click on it
3. paste in the url of the file

voila!

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Here goes:

OMG. That's huge. What is usually the image size that people post so it wouldn't throw everyone else posts off. I guess I'm going to have to head over to the testing area soon :D. But any starting guide would help.

Also, it's an image I download on my computer and I used Image Shack as recommended by Ted. Is the image actually there or is there a link to my computer that Image Shack keeps. I guess I'm trying to ask whether my computer is hyperlinked in anyway.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
You should assume that most people's monitors are 1024x768. I'd suggest that the images be significantly smaller (150x200, etc.). Look at 'resize' utilities in your favorite image editor. (MS Paint, etc.)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Your image size is 1700 pixels by 12-something. That might explain the problem. :)

The image should never be wider than the number of pixels in the width of the reply display area in a normal thread. (If you know the resolution of your screen you ought to be able to arrive at a rough estimate based on what percentage of your screen seems to be occupied by said area.)

Some image hosting sites let you set the image size there, others require that you edit the image on your hard drive and save it at a small size.

The images are stored on your host's server. The whole point of doing things this way is to avoid having the HTF or other forum host have the actual image on its server, but also to have the image always available - which it wouldn't be if it only resided on your hard drive. (Anytime you turned the PC off or disconnected from the internet - which was the norm rather than the exception in the pre-broadband days - the image would disappear.)

Regards,

Joe

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Looks like the site you want is actually http://www.imageshack.us/ On the .com page is a link to the unaffiliated .us, but since the .com page uses frames, the .com address stays in the address bar.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
anytime dave! nah..he should leave it. it'll drive home the importance/impact to the next person who tries this. ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
dave, somewhere in your post is an excellent good joke involving jennifer anniston.

but i just can't quite nail it....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks