What's new

How do old video game systems look on HD-TV's? (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I'm prob gonna get a 42 inch Sony LCD in the next few months.
How do the games look on your HDTV's? NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, etc? Do they show a lot of flaws due to the lower rez?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
A great way to find out first hand is to pick up a copy of Final Fantasy: Advent Children and ask a retailer to play the "Reminiscence of "Final Fantasy VII" featurette (disc 1). Its a compilation of the FF7 cut scenes and game play that spans the majority of the game. It'll tell you really quick how "great" those lower rez games are going to look on a large HD screen. Most of the better shops are glad to demo stuff for you.

Chris S.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i'd say offhand that they will look better, but not nearly as good as your DVD video is going to look.

in other words, right now let's say your DVD pq and xbox pq is about 7/10. with the new tv, the DVD pq will jump to 9 and the xbox will jump to 7.5

of course your mentioning older consoles so the jump may even be less

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
cool replies, thanks.

anyone out there actualy plug in your SNES, NES, N64, Dreamcast into your HDTV set via composite or s-video connections? How do they look?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I think they look pretty good considering. Bright colors help them alot. (Dreamcast & Saturn experience).

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I tried playing Goldeneye on my Hitachi 65", but the resolution was too low for be to be able to make out who was who on the screen.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Using s-video or yellow rca on my 65" samsung looks terrible. It was the main reason I stopped playin my PS2. But on my 36" tosh PS2 looks great.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I have hooked up my N64 - NES - SNES - To my 32 LCD Bravia.
Ok I know the size isnt huge but the lcd is nice.
the games look like crap! goldeneye is absolutely dreadful.

with the older systems they just don tlook so good

Julia

Stunt Coordinator
They don't look they best, but they're playable. I have an NES hooked up to my DLP, thought it would be awful but I got used to it pretty quick. Depends on your standards, I guess.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you still enjoy playing older game systems on your current TV, you'll enjoy them on a new TV. The image is larger and crisper, no longer masking some of the graphics limitations. But it's not that different.

I've recently replayed some Jet Force Gemini (N64) on my 36" Wega; it looks as good (and as bad) as ever. The biggest weakness is that I'm used to how my GameCube looks and it's hard to go back.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
My Gamecube on my Mits hc3000 PJ with a 92" screen with a Progressive game like Rebel Strike 2 is amazing....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks