How do movie-studios convert mono into surround?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Its always the same faces going "No Atmos No Sale!" around here I swear.
I don't keep track of who says that, but I do see it a lot - and I find it perplexing, to say the least.

I guess some make the argument that "if the filmmakers had Atmos when they shot the movie, they'd have used it!"

Maybe - but they didn't have it, so we should default to whatever the original track was.

I always feel a bit sheepish that my reviews don't follow this rule, as I usually discuss the remixes. A boy gotta serve his audience, ya know? People want to know about those tracks so I emphasize them!

melodram

Auditioning
Real Name
melodram
if you change art, its destroying art

imagine somebody would change an old painting...

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I remember the brouhaha over the 5.1 mix for the special edition of Superman: The Movie.

When Richard Donner and Michael Thau made the special edition around the year 2000, the only thing that they could locate for sound elements was the mono stems -- one for dialog and another for music and sound effects.

For dialogue, it wasn't a problem, because the dialogue comes from a fixed point anyway. They could put the dialogue wherever they wanted in the sound field.
The irony here is they put all of the dialogue in the center channel for that mix when the original mix had directional dialogue.

Reactions: B-ROLL

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Its always the same faces going "No Atmos No Sale!" around here I swear.
(On a tangent).

If I had ever jumped onto the 4Kbluray treadmill, I would have been using a jedi mindfuck of "no atmos = no sale" to severely restrict my purchases.

;)

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
And people wonder why Criterion wont support 4k...
Yes, I'll admit that I am a part of the problem.

Though in the end, my "sanity" is more important to me than anything being released on 4Kbluray.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16