What's new

How do major B&M chains handle internet pricematching? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Two years ago I was able to take a TV printout from CrazyEddie to Sears and get an exact pricematch.

The teenage clerk didn't even factor in the cost of shipping for internet vendors (the policy at the time, I'm told).

I recently asked a clerk in CC about their pricematch policy and he seemed to indicate the same (exact pricematch, no strings).

Unfortunately, I wasn't ready to buy and didn't have internet pricematches with me.

Do BB, CC,& Sears really pricematch the internet?

Brett Sw

Agent
I was working on an associate from CC last month on a Sony 42we610 and he plainly told me he/they DON'T match internet prices. Of course they work on commission. He's trying to get the most GP out of the sale right up to the point you walk out of the store. I got him to eventually match the price by asking him and his manager to give me 3 good reasons why I should buy from them as opposed to onecall.com or any other internet store. I wanted to know why I should pay more $$ (sales tax, shipping, overhead) to them. I mean why? So I can say I bought it from a fancy store with a bunch of overhead? They tried all sorts of reasons from local support & service to buying in my local economy which only pushed us towards the door. Both bull if you ask me. Anyway...The deal ended up with my being able to use a 10% off coupon and CC reducing the remaining price by the amount of sales tax I would pay (backing the tax out). However...I never did close the deal since I worked the wife into a 51" Toshiba. So I'm looking for a good deal on a 51HX83 or 51HX93...

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
CC changed policies a few months ago and do not pay on commission anymore. I think I read that Sears has stopped price matching internet prices, as well.

Brett Sw

Agent
Man...If they are selling TVs at MSRP they're making a ton of money on each set!!! I wonder if the big stores still still negotiate prices at all?

Frank@N

Screenwriter
By way of explanation...

I've been asked to help two friends with TV purchases.

Any recent info on how to get the best B&M price would be appreciated.

Brett Sw

Agent
You'd be surprised, but I'd try the independently owned high-end and mom-n-pop stores in your area. They can spread their gross profit/loss across their store just like the big boys. One, they don't have the corporate pricing guidelines to live by. Two, maybe they don't have the buying power of say CC, but they do custom high dollar installs in the homes of the better off (meaning they make their GP up in other places). If they have any business sense at all, they won't let you walk out the door without coming off their bottom dollar (or close to it). Bottomline...Don't think you'll always get the best price at the chain stores. Not sure if I helped any, but that's my thoughts at the moment. Of course, I'm at work so what do I know...

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
Sears will still do internet price matching if you get the correct sales person. I was able to get them to match etronics price on a 30" Toshiba widescreen HD. He never even asked for the printout I had with me. At first he said the best they could do was 10% but once he realized that I was ready to walk and order on-line he matched the price and the computer even took off an extra 10% of the difference. I think the guy was one of the higher ups in the department so he probably had more control over how much he could take off. Ended up saving $220 from the price they were asking. Can't wait to get the set all hooked up.

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
Did they force you to pay some inflated delivery charge to keep things equal with the internet vendor?
Nope, I have a friend with a truck so I was able to just pick it up at the store. They had to order it from the warehouse because they only had the floor model and I wanted one that was still in box and they did this with no hassle. Overall very good buying experience. He mentioned the extended warranty but did not even try to hard sell me on that.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
A B&M Best Buy won't even price match their website prices.
I went in earlier this year to pick up a CD because of the price on the website. I went up to purchase it for that price and the clerk said their policy is not to price match the website. But if i were to order it online and do an instore pickup I would of received it for the online price.

Go figure.

Paul

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Best Buy says they won't match prices on Internet sites or Warehouse clubs, but if they're having a slow day and want to make a sale, and they're not taking a loss on it, they might on occasion. Ask to talk to a manager about it.

Also, they might be willing to sell it at a small loss if you want to buy the service plan.

Users who are viewing this thread