How do JVC DVD players handle anamorphic downconversion?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre Bijelic, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

Feb 10, 2000
    I'm toying with the idea of picking up a new player. I've narrowed the list down to the Sony NS-300, Pioneer DV-343 and JVC XV-S40BK. The Sony produces virtually no downconversion artifacts, but I find the picture to be a little soft. Pioneer seems sharper, but artifacts are frequently evident.
    I know the JVC name isn't very popular with many of this board's members, but I've had a 32" JVC monitor and several JVC S-VHS machines and they've all performed flawlessly.
    I haven't had a chance to demo a JVC player and was wondering how it deals with the downconversion issue.
  2. John Di Lauro

John Di Lauro Stunt Coordinator

Aug 4, 2001
    I have the XVS-40BK. As for the downconversion, the only
    thing I've noticed is a slight shimmering on rolling credits. To compare, I put the player in 16:9 mode and compressed the vertical height using the TV's service menu (the TV is a JVC 27" D-series). The credit shimmering went away, and the picture seems a bit sharper (presumably due to not wasting scan lines on the letterbox bars), but other
    than that I cannot notice any difference. I have not done a A/B comparison with the Sony or Pioneer units, though.
    Hope this information helps.
  3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    I just bought a JVC XV-F80BK, the multidisc version of the XVS60 series progressive scan players.
    I have owned Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic players. Sony was artifact free but soft. Toshiba was super sharp but shimmery and jaggy. Panasonic was about halfway between the Sony and the Toshiba.
    The JVC is very nearly as artifact and shimmer free as the Sony, but just as sharp as the Toshibas.
    My test of downconversion is the opening scene of Shakespeare in Love, where the camera does a downward vertical pan of the interior of the Elizabethan theater's balconies and horizontal railings. Only the Sony and JVC can show this with no shimmering, but the JVC is sharper. The only shimmering I've seen with the JVC is during credit rolls, and then it's very slight.
    I don't know if the non-progressive 40 models use the same downconversion method as the prog. models, but the 60 series can be had for as little as $229, and has an excellent interlaced picture if you set the progressive scan pulldown mode to "smart".
    Overall I'd rate the JVC's picture quality higher than the excellent Panny A-320, my last player.
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.
  4. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've yet to hear anyone say other than excellent things about the JVC players' downconversion.
    I can't help being a bit worried about the various progressive quirks as documented in the Secrets shootouts. Have you had any issues with the XV-F80BK? Is the changer mechanism solid? Does it have scramble mode for CD's?
    I had pretty much decided to go with separate CD changer and DVD player, but the new JVC is the one combo that has me tempted...