How do I write "sub-text" in Microsoft Word?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott_lb, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I figured someone here might know the answer to this: I'm writing up the reference section of a research study I am running and one of the references has "sub-text" in it (I know there's a specific name for what I am referring to, but I can't think of it right now). By sub-text I mean sort of the opposite of exponents in math, but instead of the number being placed at the upper-right it's placed at the lower right of a letter. Specifically, I have to type the letters "Pcg" with the "g" placed to the lower right of the "c". I apologize if this is a totally stupid question, but I've searched through various menus on Word and came up empty. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Select the expression, then do Format --> Font --> Subscript (check).

--
    H

3. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    Place the cursor where after the c. Click on "Format", select "Font", Click on "Subscript", click "OK". Type the "g". Then, "format, "Font", uncheck "Subscript", click "OK".

Done.

4. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

thank you for your help!

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

You can also press CTRL+= as a shortcut so you don't have to navigate all those menus each time. Also, if you do this often, just got to your formatting toolbar (the one where you choose your font and size) and at the end there's a little arrow you can click to add more buttons. Just add the subscript button and you'll have it on the toolbar for whenever you need it.