What's new

How do I wire this? (1 Viewer)

Rodlks

Auditioning
Real Name
Rod Laughlin
I have an old set of Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers ... two bookshelf speakers and a woofer, each with only one set of connectors. I want to wire the speakers to a old Sony STR-DE197 receiver. The receiver speaker output has an "A" and a "B" set, each consisting of two right and left outputs, one labeled "+" and one labeled "-". How do I wire this?

The speakers say "6 ohm" and the receiver says "use 8-14 ohm." Is the mismatch a problem?

Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
New receivers have Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 to power speakers used in another room. Older receivers/stereo's used two separate speaker connections.

Speaker "A" is for use in the main room and speaker "B" is for use in another location. A and B are both powered by the same amplifier channels and produce the same signal when used. You could hook Ensembles up to either A or B, but not both.

6 ohm speakers should be O.K. with the 197, just don't turn it up too loud . 4 ohm speakers would probably cause problems eventually.

If you do connect speakers to B make sure they are 8 ohm. Using two pairs of 6 ohm speakers is probably more than the 197 can safely handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks