How do I virus-scan a pc with no internet connection from a updated 2nd pc (laptop)?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Giles, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

I'm going over to someones house to remove virus' that they claim they have. I dont have a lot of information about the situation yet, so I just want to have all of my ducks in a row.

It's possible that they no longer have a reliable interent connection. Can I scan their entire pc with my laptop if I have updated defination files on my computer? If so, how can I make sure it's scanning all of the folders?

Also, if I scan it with a spyware program, can I do it the same way?

My main concern is when I install these antivirus/spyware programs, I may not be able to update the programs.

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Well what I did, when I did that more often, is I used an external hard drive enclosure. Just take the circuit board out and then you can connect their hard drive to your usb port without having to remove their hard drive and without you having to do anything tricky to your laptop.

Then it'll load up as a second hard drive on your computer and you can just scan it right then and there.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Just on general principle, I'd be reluctant to connect a computer or drive presumed to be infected with an unknown virus to my own computer. What if my anti-virus program can't deal with it?

If your laptop (or any other PC you have access to) has a CD burner either download the latest virus definitions for your friend's anti-virus program to a CD. (His/her anti-virus program will be able to update from a local file if you tell it to.) Alternatively you can download a whole anti-virus program (like AVG) with the latest definitions and install that on a CD, then run it from the CD. You can do the same with anti-spyware programs like Ad Aware, Spybot and MS Anti-Virus, or load the installation files and the latest updates, then install and run them from the host computer.

Personally I'd boot to safe mode and run the programs from a CD on the host computer.

Regards,

Joe

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

The best way (or at least, a very good way...) to do this is to create a bootable CD with the tools you need.

The easy way is to download from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com and run that, you can test-drive it at home first. Just boot from the CD and run the antivirus tools there.

The most versatile option is probably to build a personal CD starting with http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ and a Windows CD (for instance, XP with SP1 as a minimum). Then you can add plugins for third party software from http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugins_Repository.php

The latter option requires more work, obviously, but you do get a very customized CD to work from.

5. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

Ok, thank you everyone! I downloaded AVG and Ad-Adware along with there updates (*.bin, *.ref) and saved all to disk. I installed and ran on a test PC and it looks good. I'll put it on a cd and flash drive and run from safe mode once I get there. Thanks again [​IMG]