How do I upgrade my Tivo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles Bober, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Charles Bober

Charles Bober Stunt Coordinator

I did a search in the archives but couldn't find any info on how to do this.
    I finally took the plunge and bought a Hughes/TiVo combo receiver. After 3 weeks of intense use, I couldn't be happier (other than the annoying programs that TiVo records for you.......is there a way to turn this option off?) Anyway, everything from the Hughes menu system to the ease of use for TiVo is terrific.
    But I need more space. I tend to record a lot of programs and watch most of them on the weekend. I would like to upgrade to 100 hours like I've heard reported here in the past. How do I do that? I need a detailed guide as I don't want to screw anything up. Is there a software hack in addition to the hard drive? Also, I was under the assumption that 1GB of hard disk space = 1 hr. of programing. So a 100GB drive would give me 100 hrs. (approximately) of recording space. Is that correct? If not, what's the scoop?
    Thanks in advance.
    ------------------
    DTS Laser Disc. Size Does Matter

2. Tim Bernot

Tim Bernot Extra

3. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Also try the avsforum.com TiVo Community boards. TiVo Underground (one of the boards) is a good place to start for all things TiVo and off the grid.
    Deborah
    ------------------

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

quote: (other than the annoying programs that TiVo records for you.......is there a way to turn this option off?) [/quote] Messages and Setup, My Preferences, TiVo's Suggestions.
    (I may not have remembered the menu items precisely, but you get the idea.)
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on November 14, 2001 at 12:08 AM]

5. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

Another source for information is:
    http://www.tivofaq.com/hack/faq.html
    This is the site I followed to add a 80 GB drive in addition to the original 30 giving me 110 GB total. This equates to over 130 hours in basic quality and just over 36 hours in best. It was definately worth doing but it is not something I would recommend novice computer users do.

6. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator