What's new

How do I turn my amplifier on? (1 Viewer)

Jin E

Second Unit
I have a very old vintage 1970's Kenwood amp driving my SVS subwoofer. If you read the "Marantz 0, Defects 2" thread, you see I used to use my Denon' switched outlet to power my Amp on, but my new Marantz will blow fuses when hooked up the same way (BTW... read those little warning stickers on the back of your new receivers before plugging anything into them;)). Since this amp is almost 20 years old, it does not have 12v triggers, nor does it have any sort of remote functions. It has one single flip/toggle switch on the front to power it on. Does anyone know of any product that can help me turn all my components on at once? Looks like my choices right now are I can leave my amp on 24/7 or get up and manually switch it every time. Neither of those choices are too appealing to me! If I resort to using a long pole it would have to be at least 14 feet long, which might be hard to store out of sight. Help please!

J

John Morris

I use one of these for my subwoofer amp and sub EQ:Parasound Scamp. It is made for amps and can support two 15amp components if necessary. It uses either a 12v trigger or a line signal to turn on the attached components. Bad part is that it costs about $150.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You could try one of the devices that powers on its bottom plugs when the top device is powered up. There's more info posted here

Westly T

Second Unit
I modified a power strip with an 115V relay from Radio Shack. I added a second small power cord that is connected to the coil on the relay. Then the contacts are connected the same as the on/off switch on the power strip. You plug the small power cord into the receiver and the power strip plug into the wall.

ling_w

Second Unit
I have a Tandy unit hooked up with the computer that is similar to what the Sears unit does. It also has 3 isolated banks powering up 6 additional devices, sensitivity adjustment for turn-on threshold and surge protection.

I wouldn't use in my HT system though. Too much power on surge, and it doesn't do sequential power on in the proper order like the way I usually do by hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks