What's new

How do I transfer files from one computer to another? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I just finished my new computer, but I want to transfer some of my files/games/songs from the old comp to the new one. How do I go about doing this? I hook them together with an ethernet cable, correct? Then what do I do?

Thanks!

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
What OS are you running?

You'll need either a crossover cable, or a hub/switch and two straight-through cables.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Joel, I'm running Windows XP Pro. I didn't realize I have to use other things. I thought maybe I could just connect a cable from one to the other. What's a crossover cable? Is it expensive? :)

BTW, Joel when did you move to Olather? When I'm not at college, I live in Spring Hill, which is about 10 minutes south of Olathe.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
A crossover cable looks like an Ethernet cable except it has certain pins switched to let 2 computers talke w/o a hub

Should run under $10

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Like Jeff said, a crossover cable should be fairly cheap. It's like a regular ethernet cable, but the transmit and receive pins are switched at one end so each computers transmit goes to the others' receive.

After you hook the computers together, it should be just a matter of setting them to the same workgroup and sharing the drives. Then you should be able to copy to and fro at will. :)

I moved down here about the second week of January. Currently staying with a friend until a temp job I've been working goes permanent. Then I can consider finding an apartment somewhere around here.

Small world, I have a friend that lives in Spring Hill. :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be easier just to pull the old hard drive out of the old PC and put it in the new one. $00.00

Glenn

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Glenn, I've thought about that, but I'd like to keep the hard-drive in the computer it's in now just as a spare computer. Who knows when I might need it?! :D

Joel, very small world! How do you like Olathe?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
you've got a few options:

you can buy a direct-Link parallel cable, plugs into the parallel port of both computers and you can use windows's built direct-Link software, I've used this with my old laptop before. It's functional, somewhat inexpensive, but slow.

The ethernet cards is the best way to go, I'm starting to find it more and more popular for network cards to self negotiate whether a cable is a patch cable or crossover cable. e.g. My new computer, a7n8x w/ onboard lan, will actually hook directly into my other computers with a patch cable, no hub needed. But just because it works in one place, you might wanna be wary about thinking it will work everywhere. Honestly you are better off with a crossover cable, if you ever buy a router or a hub they will accept crossover cables without a hitch. typically windows will autodetect any connections done in this manner. if you have any difficulties go into your network properties, in the control panel, and make sure the tcp/ip protocol is there, it's set to use windows network logon, add the protocol netbeui, and that should get everything going.

finally you can see about finding a usb patch cable. basically it will be a usb cable with the same computer side hookup on both sides. I've seen TechTV do a review on them, works pretty good from what I've seen. Only problem there is I can never seem to find a local place that sells them. fo rthis you once again have to use the direct link software that comes with windows.

anyway, enough of how to hook two computer up. Time to go over how to transfer files. what you want to do is on the host computer, the comp with the files, enable file sharing then make a folder or just find the folders you want to transfer right click on them and hit sharing. then just share the folder, that will enable the other computer that you have to be able to transfer the file over.

if you need any clarification or have any morpe questions, just ask away.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Thanks a lot Rob. I'm going to go buy a crossover cable in a bit, so if I have any questions, I'll post back here!

Thanks again!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Windows XP has a Files and Settings Transfer wizard under Accessories | System Tools. You just need a physical connection, like ethernet.

//Ken

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
go with the hd swap - that'll be the easiest to do.

btw - xferring stand-alone data files will be easy, but you'll need to be attentive if you try to xfer over games and programs.

a lot of those install funky files (especially dll's) all over the place...especially in your system folders. it may not be obvious where they're located.

Roy C.

Second Unit
Just don't forget those hidden system, data, etc. files when moving or copying them ...!! The Xover cable is the easiest and fastest of all mentioned (IMHO) and all you need in the network protocols box is probably NetBEUI... Just a thought without getting too technical.

GL,
Roy C.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks