How do I test my equipment's wiring with a multimeter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis Gabriel Gerena, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

Hi!
    I bought a multimeter from Radio Shack:http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=22%2D809
    I read some instructions on how to test that that my equipment is wired correctly (correct polarity) but now that I bought the multimeter I can't find the article! Can someone please explain me? I think I had to test the connection that has the lower noise level (lower readings?) ...any help on how to do it will be aprecciated.

2. Gene Severn

Gene Severn Stunt Coordinator

Luis,
    A multimeter can be used to test cables for continuity and resistance. Remove the cable from the equipment. Set the meter to the low ohms scale, place one prone on the tip of one end of the RCA plug, place the other probe on the tip of the RCA plug on the other end of the cable. The reading should be less that 1 ohm. Follow the procedure for the shield connection. If you suspect that a cable is intermittent, bend and twist the cable while performing this procedure.

3. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Thanks for the explanation [​IMG]
    How about the polarity thing? I know I read how to do it...or maybe was something else. If I remeber well I had to put one of the probes in the ground slot an the other should touch the gear's chassis (or something like that). Hopefully you can make something out of this....

4. Luis Gabriel Gerena

I found the article but don't really understand what I should do. It is on page 35 of the HomeTheaterMagazine July 2001 issue. Can someone explain it better to me?

5. Dustin Haug

Dustin Haug Agent

All you have to do is check the resistance between the positive terminal on each of your speakers and the positive terminal on your reciever/amp. It should be very small. Another easy way to test it is to take a small battery (A, AA, etc.) remove your speaker wire from your reciever and touch the positive wire to the + side of the battery and the negative wire to the - side of the battery. The speaker should jump a little watch it and see if it moves out or in. If it moves out, then it's polarity is correct.
    ------------------
    My DIY sub page