how do I tell if a reciever is safe at 4ohms??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Fineberg, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

ON the back next to the speaker terminal it says : Into 8 OHms. shoudl it also say somthhing about 4ohms? I don't have the owners manual (but even if I did where would I look in that too. I am not familiar with electrical readings so this is a new area to me. thanks for the help
    [​IMG]
    -B

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

It usually is mentioned in the specifications part of an owners manual. There is also sometimes a switch on the back to 4 or 8 ohm operation. Since you don't seem to have that or the manual, you need to post the model of your receiver so someone else who has their manual can tell you.
    BB

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Brian,
    If the back of the receiver only mentions 8-ohms, then it is not meant for 4-ohm loads.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Not to stir things up, but almost all speakers are rated nominally, and many have been tested to not be true to their advertised ohm rating.
    Resistance will vary quite a bit depending on the volume and frequency signal.
    Some well known 8 ohm speaker's have been tested to vary from 2 ohms to 16 ohms depending on the volume and frequency.
    Also there have been some well known 4 ohm speaker's tested to vary in a similar way.
    Neither of these nominally rated speaker's were actually found to be all that accurate with their ohm rating.
    Me myself I wouldn't worry about ohm's.
    Just thought I would throw that in. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

5. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

I would not worry too much about ohms either. I have a Marantz SR8000 that says '8 ohms' and have been driving two electrostatic fronts that are known killers to drive, dropping to 1 ohm, plus 4 ohm rears. All at full volume for HT, with no problems.
    Some receivers will tolerate this better than others. I think the Marantz SR8000 is stellar in this regard, it has a lot of power.
    What model is the receiver?

6. Adrian Ramirez

Adrian Ramirez Auditioning

Okay, dumb question. Could someone explain what the difference is between 4 and 8 ohms? My receiver is the Yamaha RXV-795a with klipsch reference speakers all around. Currently, my receiver is set at 8 ohms. Is this correct or do I get more efficient power modifying the settings.