How do I stop water leakage from bathtub faucet?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by McPaul, Dec 11, 2004.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I'm losing huge amounts of water here... I fill up a garden sized bucket in about a minute. I know nothing about plumbing, unfortunately. Can anyone please help?

Thanks, Paul.

2. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

There should be a shut off valve on the pipe(s) leading to your bathtub. Turn it/them off. They could be in the basement under the tub, or directly behind the wall where the faucet is. If you can't find them (or like my house and there aren't any) turn off your main water valve where your water comes into the house. That will at least stop the leaking. But if it's leaking into your bathtub, it's not really imperative that you stop the leak immediately as you're not really wrecking anything. Calling a plumber would be your best bet if it is leaking back into the wall and not your tub. If it's leaking into your tub, buy a book about plumbing and give it a shot.
    Good Luck.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Unless you are on a septic system, in which case you are headed for problems, since you could back up your tank into the house.

Chances are the leak is caused by a failed rubber gasket in the tap. You'll need to shut off the supply to the faucet as suggested, then figure out how to get the tap apart - there's usually a setscrew (hex wrench required) in the handle, then the rest come apart, but you might need a big wrench. Once you find the gaskets, take them to Home Hardware or someplace like that and get a replacment(s).

Is this a single handle tap? It could also be that the plastic inside the faucet is broken, in which case it will need repairing or replacing. This could be a pretty major job depending on how your tub and surround are installed. I had a shower that was busted and managed to salvage the needed part from another tap in the house, since it was easier to replace a sink faucet than ripping the whole shower apart.

4. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    In my experience, I always also need to replace the faucet seat in addition to the washer. And the seat is usually rusty in the middle so the seat wrench just rounds out the hole. So then I need to use a thick reverse threaded bit to extract it.