How do I stop the beeping on my UPS?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DanielKellmii, Apr 16, 2006.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

As I sit here preparing for the next hurricane season, I was thinking about using my UPS to power my small battery powered TV. The TV comes with an adaptor. But, the beeping the UPS makes when the power goes out can be distracting. Is there any way to turn off the beeping and still use the battery until it runs out?
    Thanks

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Depends on the UPS features, but I doubt it. None I've run across give you the option of silent battery operation.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I would agree with Mike, basically the samller UPS's are only meant to give you enough warning to shut down things like computers (so you don't lose information) and not meant to really power anything for any length of time.

I assume that's why it beeps, it's telling you "Turn everything off before you totally kill the battery".I would check your UPS's documentation. I'm not 100% positive, but is it ok to let those UPS batteries completley drain?

We've had ones at work that no longer recharge after completely draining.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Most ups's I've dealt with have some client software that is usually used to automatically shutdown the computer if you connect the ups to the computer via serial/usb, but they've all had the option to turn the beeping off as well.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I have a couple of TrippLite units for my home theater system to prevent the loss of settings during momentary power outages. They both have a hardware option to silence the beeping.

Regards,

Joe

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I'm sure there are units out there with the option of turning off the warning beep, but it sounds like the one that Daniel has is a standard computer UPS. Usually those type don't have many user selectable options.

You'd just have to check the documentation to see if there is any mention of it.