How do I stop Dr.Watson from loading? (Win2k)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Windows 2000, usually when Netscape crashes, it starts Dr.Watson to do a stack dump which in Netscape's case, takes forever. How do I disable this officially? I guess I could rename or delete the executable but I'm wondering if there is an official way to do this?

Thanks,

Jay

2. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Do you have Visual C++ installed on your system? If so, you can start VC++, then go "Tools" then "Options" then 'Debug" and then select the "Just in Time Debugging" checkbox.
    But why do you want to disable good ole Dr. Watson? [​IMG] Actually we rely on Dr. Watson's at work like you wouldn't believe; they are invaluable when trying to find out where crashes happened.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    No, I used to have it installed when I was playing with MFC and stuff, but I did a clean install of Win2000 when I upgraded from Win98 and haven't installed it back since then. I want to disable it since it takes forever to write to the disk when Netscape crashes... And I don't need all that sitting on my HD anyway...

Jay

4. Steven K

I'm not sure if you can disable it, but there must be a way. I haven't found a way to "disable" it but rather just a way to swtich the default debugger

5. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

6. Steven K

I gotta recommend AGAINST disabling our good friend, Dr. Watson. You never know when you'll need a hex dump of the "crash". [​IMG]