What's new

How do I stop Dr.Watson from loading? (Win2k) (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Windows 2000, usually when Netscape crashes, it starts Dr.Watson to do a stack dump which in Netscape's case, takes forever. How do I disable this officially? I guess I could rename or delete the executable but I'm wondering if there is an official way to do this?

Thanks,

Jay

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Do you have Visual C++ installed on your system? If so, you can start VC++, then go "Tools" then "Options" then 'Debug" and then select the "Just in Time Debugging" checkbox.
But why do you want to disable good ole Dr. Watson? :) Actually we rely on Dr. Watson's at work like you wouldn't believe; they are invaluable when trying to find out where crashes happened.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
No, I used to have it installed when I was playing with MFC and stuff, but I did a clean install of Win2000 when I upgraded from Win98 and haven't installed it back since then. I want to disable it since it takes forever to write to the disk when Netscape crashes... And I don't need all that sitting on my HD anyway...

Jay

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure if you can disable it, but there must be a way. I haven't found a way to "disable" it but rather just a way to swtich the default debugger

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I gotta recommend AGAINST disabling our good friend, Dr. Watson. You never know when you'll need a hex dump of the "crash". :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks