What's new

How do I start my own web page? (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I second Textpad. I even bought it: £20 or something...
You will only need one book:Link Removed
And then you might want to pop to Dynamic Drive for some cool stuff.
Lastly, you would do well to buy your own webspace. I have found Affordable Host to be very good. Make sure you're finding it all hunky dory first, but it doesn't cost much to have a fully hosted site and you will find the ability to use your own email anywhere in the world plus storage of images to be invaluable.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Homesite all the way, you will actually have to learn HTML to use it though. I personally cant stand programs like Dreamweaver and Front Page but thats just me.
The best resource for learning basic HTML that I found was the Joe Burns book, HTML goodies, and its cheap to. The link above is the webpage that goes along with this book.
While learning HTML I would say the single most important thing is learning how to do tables.
You will probably want to learn Photoshop as well so that you can create any graphics for your site.
Here is my site www.moesrealm.com, it is split into two different sections both with a very different look.
For hosting I am using http://www.ntidesign.com/index.html and have been happy with them. You get 500 megs of space and unlimited bandwidth (which is very nice) for $99 a year.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Andre F

Screenwriter
A quick note on editors. I refuse to use Frontpage unless I have a client that requires it. I use Dreamweaver sometimes but mostly use Homesite. It's not complicated and very easy to use. While it is not WSYWIG it provides quite a bit of help with writing the html (code completion etc).

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
So Robert, what program do you intend to use to make up your site? Personally I used Viapage because it was free for me. I understood that Front page inserts some of its own code. How far are you with the project?

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Another option is to download the web browser Mozilla from http://www.mozilla.org and use the built-in Composer program. It is also a visual web page creation tool.
Personally I believe the best way to create web pages is to learn the underlying language, HTML. It's very simple once you get the basics down and it will be good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks